THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AClarke44

Babbling Farker
Name or Nickame
Andrew
Yeah I did. I was at Lowe's and couldn't help myself. I mean 40 lbs for $10! It can't compare to Stubbs for smoking as far as the smoke flavor and smell while cooking but I just couldn't resist the prices.

Here's how I rationalized the purchase:
Stubbs will be my "smoking" coal. Any low and slow cooking will be with Stubbs. This is anything cooked at 300 or less for 3 hours or more.
The Kingsford will be my hot/fast coal. Once Kingsford gets red hot the chemically smell goes away (at least as far as I can tell). It's the initial lighting where that weird smell is very noticeable. That's why I don't like it for smoking. If using the menion method or snake method new coals are slowly being lit and the smell never goes away. But if I'm lighting a chimney for grilling something 350 and above that'll be done in under 2 hours I will use the Kingsford. All coals are lit before the cooking starts so the smell is pretty much gone. Through in a chunk or two of Hickory or fruit wood and it's good to go.

I just don't wanna use up my Stubbs on fast cooking. What do you folks think? :biggrin1:

We we're gonna go to Lowes last night but didn't have a enough time. I was gonna ask em why Stubbs wasn't on sale and see if I could have got it for the same price. They may have done it.

Let us know if you are able to talk them into it! If so I may give it a try here

On a side note I meant for this thread to be posted in Q-talk and accidentally posted it here. I'm trying to get it moved but if anyone knows how please let me know :biggrin1:
Otherwise I'm trying to get one of the Mods to do it.

I use the cheapest briquettes I can get for my camp dutch ovens. Right now, that would be KBB at Lowes. It has it's uses, like you said, pair up the tool to the task.

That's the whole thing about KBB. Folks that say it smells and makes meat taste funny usually don't give it enough time to ash over all the way. It's good for high heat and low and slow.

That's the whole thing about KBB. Folks that say it smells and makes meat taste funny usually don't give it enough time to ash over all the way. It's good for high heat and low and slow.

I agree with the high heat. Buy I definitely could tell a difference when smoking low and slow. Not that KBB was horrible but Stubbs was noticeably better. To me it's worth the extra cost difference for smoking just not for the quick high heat stuff. Having said that I wouldn't have a problem using it to smoke with if I ran out of Stubbs.....I just try not to run out. :mrgreen:

What about when adding during a cook or in a snake when only starting with a few lit? I used kbb for a long time and never really noticed anything until I switched to lump and Stubbs and then went back to kbb. I can't see where grilling would be an issue.

What about when adding during a cook or in a snake when only starting with a few lit? I used kbb for a long time and never really noticed anything until I switched to lump and Stubbs and then went back to kbb. I can't see where grilling would be an issue.

That's a very good point Sir. When using it on my WSM, I've never noticed any off taste. I think it is because the new coal is lighting at such a slow rate. I tried lump once. It just burns too hot and fast for a 12 hour brisket cook IMHO.

That's a very good point Sir. When using it on my WSM, I've never noticed any off taste. I think it is because the new coal is lighting at such a slow rate. I tried lump once. It just burns too hot and fast for a 12 hour brisket cook IMHO.

Buy a bag of Stubbs and give it a try Toast. I'd be curious if you get hooked too.

I get it in bulk because I do a lot of grilling on my Weber kettle and also use it to start a bed of coals usually on my offset when I cook on it. I can go through 40lbs in a week easy sometimes. I haven't cooked on a gas stove in over a year. I use my kettle, smoker, and an electric induction cooktop for everything.

When I was at HEB picking up $2/lb brisket I picked up a bag of HEB briquettes for $3.50, think it was 15lb bag. I'll give it a try for that much.

When I was at HEB picking up $2/lb brisket I picked up a bag of HEB briquettes for $3.50, think it was 15lb bag. I'll give it a try for that much.

HEB Grand Champion is pretty good but not cheap. I use it when I can't find Stubbs st Walmart. Not paying an extra $1 at Lowe's. I hate Lowe's.

HEB Grand Champion is pretty good but not cheap. I use it when I can't find Stubbs st Walmart. Not paying an extra $1 at Lowe's. I hate Lowe's.

I usually get Stubbs at Walmart because of the price difference too.
Lately I've been a Home Depot fan myself but around me HD doesn't have as good of a grilling section.

I used Stubbs on the mini and got used to it. Picked up the KBB for the sale and I noticed it def has a more chemical smell when first lit which sucks if you have to add more coals for a longer cook. The KBB also seemed to burn faster. I feel like I got more time out of a full basket of Stubbs. The Stubbs smoke flavor is more woody.

Ill use the KBB because I have a bunch of it now but I definitly prefer the Stubbs for smoking. I'm a noob to all this but that's my experience.

Stubbs is 8.99 for 15# at lowes by me not sure what Wally charges.

Back