I could really use some advice on cooking a whole pork shoulder for comp

Cool. Well useually count on an hour and a half per pound on a 9 pound boston butt so for 18-20 pound shoulder around 13.5 hours of cooking time should take care of it don't you think? Of course I'll add in some padding and time for resting and pulling. Thanks for the help please let me know if I am just way off on my times.

Heath, I'm a long time MBN (and MiM) competitor but more so a judge. If I could show you a few of our pics from a few years back with explanation; hopefully this'll help with your on-sites.

With on-sites, you have 2 additional categories being judged that aren't in blind; presentation and appearance (of your site). Make everything NEAT and CLEAN. Spitshined! The presentation, just have one, be nice, sell it, and tell your story.
Many will have top of the line china and nonsense. I've always had straight 10's onsite, with chinette plates, solid (not cheap) plastic forks and spoons (for sauce), and fresh bottled water for every judge. CLEAN; fresh. That's the ticket.

You're going to receive 3 judges on-site for every event, in 15 minute intervals. Pretty much you have 13 minutes to greet, present, eat, and say adios. That gives you 2 minutes to clean up and prepare for the next one.

When the judge shows up, greet them and introduce your team (fast). Quickly head over to your presentation smoker. Notice how I said that. Some have separate smokers for presentations; some dont. It's ok, just make sure that your smoker is clean! I used 1 smoker total. Everything came off before 8am. At 8am I clean the smoker (even use a little spray paint if I have to) while one of my teammates builds the presentation area.

Here's Pete from Yazoo's Delta Q showing his hog:

Here's ours without anything in it:

See the drip marks? They were gone (wiped down and painted) about 10 minutes after this photo.

Ok, when the judge arrives, greet him and quickly get him/her to the smoker. Have your meat INSIDE it already, ready to go. Have a quick spiel about your smoker, why you use this type, the wood and why, etc.

Then, open it up and show the meat and finish your spiel.

This whole smoker, wood, meat presentation shouldn't take more than 4 minutes (leaving at least 9 minutes ON MEAT). Get them and the meat to the table. Continue your presentation of the meat. Pull that bone from the shoulder. Hopefully it'll be steaming (hot). Grab a chunk and show how easily it pulls apart. Ham it up a little (SELL YOUR Q). The "look how awesome our pitmaster is" nonsense... :)

Slight mistake but we got away with it; dont stand over a judge. Sit with them.

I dont know if you can see in the pic above. There was a new unopened bottle of water for the judge, a fresh napkin for him, 2 sauces presented in little cups, each with their own spoon (all fresh, for this judge), and a fork for the meat if he wants it (rarely ever do they use this), and that chinette plate. Anyone handling meat or even perceived as handling meat had on gloves. Also note, clean and simple team uniforms. Uniformity helps in that appearance picture; not required, but looks less rag-tag.

Us, ready for our first judge, all the plates ready, team lined up for introduction, etc.

During presentation, we keep it quiet, and we're neat...

Not shown is the exit. As the judge walks out, we thank him and then clap (show appreciation). Then the firedrill begins. One guy clears the table, another wipes the table cloth clean and dries it (FAST). I break for the next meat. Quickly a light coat of finishing sauce (which is piping hot) and quickly put it in the smoker. Our 4th person is our catch-all. He watches to make sure we dont trip, etc.

Also, not shown, we have a tradition right after every blind turn-in; we take shots of Patron. Have fun.

Ugly team:

With any luck, you'll get a few of these:

Thanks a lot that was extremely informative. I really appreciate you taking the time to put that together. Though I have thought about the presentation a lot hear lately you have given me some more to consider and plus I have not thought near enough about how quickly you have to reset everything before the next judge comes along. Thanks again man.

A couple things I forgot to comment on:

1. Rehearse the transition, multiple times in the morning. If not, bad things. The guys laughed at me when I had 30 minutes rehearsal on the list. Afterwards, no laughter. They got it. The first time we did this I had them forget the water, the bus boy and the wiping person tripped on one another, and when I was bringing out the meat they ran into me nearly knock the meat to the ground. Had this have happened live, BAD things... We worked out the timing literally down to step by step. I went out ONLY behind the bus tub guy taking the new items out, and the wiping guy didnt come back in util I had the meat on the smoker. Mind you, this is what worked for us. You'll distribute it different, and that's fine, but rehearse it.

2. On the table, notice our table cloth is vinyl. Many go with lovely cotton. Some go with restaurant white. Impressive, until a tiny amount of juice gets on them, or some sauce! Yeow. Some have a table cloth for every single judge. 3 events X 3 judges, plus if you happen to final in all 3, that's 12 table cloths minimum. We went with 1 plus another as a backup. Nice check pattern that wont show small blemishes (in case the cleaning wasn't perfect); and red at that to hopefully blend with sauce color... Vinyl, wipe off clean, then wipe dry real fast. EASY, effective, and NEAT.

3. Plenty of gloves. Change out for every person. I would greet them with one glove on and my right hand ungloved for the hand shake. THEN I'd put on that second glove. Without saying a word, it stressed our paying attention to every last cleanliness detail. To me, it set the stage...

4. Extra shirts and aprons available. We usually go into 1 if not 2 extra aprons during the whole thing. This day was unusual where we didnt go through them... Maintain cleanliness at all times.

5. I had great success with my shoulders naked, and then 1 judge judged me against Dixie Q, who on this day got the GC with he shoulder... I got a 9.9 overall. The judge told me why. Apparently both our BBQ were exceptional this day, our presentations were spot-on, clean like nobody's business. He had to have a deciding factor. On this day Dixie Q used a finishing sauce/glaze, and I went without it. While our pork was beautiful, his shined (literally). Make your pork SHINE. :)

6. Notice the pork shoulders in the pics. While there are shadows all over, you can tell the color is a nice mahogany reddish/brown, without any glaze. NOT BLACK. Judges are accustomed to seeing nice natural pork without being dressed in a box. However, black will get you toasted... Make 'em purdy...

7. Chairs; one for the judge, one for the presenter. Also, on the chance you make finals you'll be visited by 4 judges at one time. Have 2 shoulders for the 4 of them, and dont forget the 4 chairs vs. normally 1.

On this particular day I got 4th in shoulder against a very powerful field, including no less than 9 MIM category winners and 5 or 6 of them had GC'd MIM, some more than one time. Yes, in pork shoulder on this day, I beat Myron. I also beat Buster Davis of Boggy Pond (previous MIM GC), and a few others. All these guys had AMAZING rigs. There I was with my 2 10x10 tents and my old Lang... Kickin' butt!!

My point is this: Dont be intimidated. Some of these guys have huge rigs and set ups. Those aren't being judged. Impressive as they are, they're not a category. Worse, one of those rigs have muddy tires (we're in a field), and their cleanliness score may suffer... Did you see the rust on my 20 year old Lang that is stored outdoors? Nope. That was taken care of... You can do this. You can beat the
biggest and most hailed team(s) out there. But, it doesn't happen by accident.

Go get 'em!!!

Lake Dogs. Thanks yet again for all the advice and definitely for the words of encouragement. There is no doubt we are going in as under dawgs so we have to try to do more with less nice to hear from someone who as also been there before. Either way we are going to have a good time. If you make it down to the jig look out for Sky Dog BBQ my name is Heath and I will be around. Thanks again man.

Heath

Lake Dogs. Thanks yet again for all the advice and definitely for the words of encouragement. There is no doubt we are going in as under dawgs so we have to try to do more with less nice to hear from someone who as also been there before. Either way we are going to have a good time. If you make it down to the jig look out for Sky Dog BBQ my name is Heath and I will be around. Thanks again man.

Heath

Heath, I appreciate the invite, and I might just do that. The wife has recently undergone a surgery, but frankly I think I need a little break... :)

Seriously, I truly believe this, I think that having less also is having less to go wrong. Following a good old fashioned KISS rule can be very beneficial. By all means though, have fun!! It's a huge venue; many have built wooden structures in that field. It's quite unusual, and FUN.

2 things to know about this place:

1. You're below the gnat line. We've just had a couple of days of very cold nights, but if it warms up even a little the gnats and mosquitoes can get rather ravenous. Bring plenty of OFF spray or lotion.

2. You're in a field KNOWN for ants. I highly suggest setting down some ant granules...

The novelty of these bugs wear off rather fast (or it did for us).

I will definitely pack some ant ammo and bug spray. So the turn in time for the shoulder blindbox is 11:15 am - 11:30 am. Does the onsite judging start at 11:15 or do they wait until 11:30 or after ? Just trying to figure out how much fire I'll taken on at once.

Onsites should begin about 15 minutes after your blind turn-in; I also think it's 11:30. It's hectic, but not THAT hectic! :)

In those photos earlier are a lot of little secrets (not really a secret) that I use and frankly borrowed from this competitor or that... There's a pic of me and one of the judges at the smoker and the smoker is closed. Notice the little wood splits? I choose 2 VERY clean and particularly fresh splits (usually more green that I actually use) to describe what I smoke with, and if they'd like to smell the wood...

It's about little things. Ham it up a little. They're easily bored; dont bore them. Keep 'em wondering... :) And kick ***!!! I hope you get a finals call. I'm not sure that the initial finals delivery notice isn't as much fun as winning a category. It's exciting!

I reckon I'm going to be asking yall questions up until judgement time. So do you cook your shoulders with skin on (skin side down) or with the skin removed ? I thought it was the latter but my butcher (at Striplings General Store) just told me that most folks do the former. Thanks yet again.

I reckon I'm going to be asking yall questions up until judgement time. So do you cook your shoulders with skin on (skin side down) or with the skin removed ? I thought it was the latter but my butcher (at Striplings General Store) just told me that most folks do the former. Thanks yet again.

I have always cooked mine skin on...cracklins are tasty

No problem. Depending on how they come, I trim the skin back to where a little more than 1/2 (perhaps as much as 2/3rds) of the butt/picnic portion are skinless; leaving sking on the lower portion. To me it makes a better presentation...

Some come this way; others need some trimming back a little. You want plenty of bark too.

Back