How to deal??

AmbrosiaBBQ

Found some matches.
Name or Nickame
Wetzel
I love to cook, smoke, and grill food for people to enjoy, but the past couple years I’ve had people that keep saying open a restaurant/truck or whatever and I don’t really want to… I figure if I did it as a real job I would not like it as much. I know know nothing of the restaurant business and all that.. catering every now and then I do for real good friends, like weddings and such.

But my questions is has anyone made that big jump, an pd if so how did it come out.

There are others on here that have made the jump but nothing documents the experience like the link Smitty posted.

If you have any reservations at all I wouldn’t do it. Starting your own business — restaurant or otherwise — takes a massive amount of work and all encompassing focus. It might be different if you had enough money to do a truck as a hobby, where you do something on a few weekends but have no expectation of making money.

Beyond that though, I think you really need to want to do it.

You sound like me. Parties started getting bigger. Me requests for cooks. Then I realized that once was a fun hobby turned into work. Then I thought ok I'll start charging and that should put an end to the requests. Nope. Just bigger requests. Do you know how much work is involved in cooking 12 briskets? That is not a hobby. No fun except when getting compliments about the food. Every now and then I miss it a little. Never enough to try it again though. Sold my big trailer cooker so now it's not an option. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

A hobby does not make a good job in most cases. A Sunday ride on a motorcycle doesn't make you a mechanic or salesman/woman any more than a weekend BBQ'er makes you the next Evie Mae's or Franklin.

The health department, accountants, lawyers, etc. are a long way away from what most people enjoy.

I've been down that path with a different hobby and passion. Working your hobby for 80 or 90 hours a week and dealing with customers occasionally that are simply unrealistic will kill any joy you have for your hobby.

Being a successful business owner involves a lot more than just being "good" at your hobby and let's be honest, most people don't enjoy the stress of being a business owner.

All this being said, if you want to set up at a fair or festival and work a few weekends a year, that is different from running a food truck or ... shudder ... opening a resturant.

I made the jump and opened a BBQ food truck in 2018. I did pretty well until Covid hit, and then my entire revenue dropped to $0 for many months on end. Food prices skyrocketed, and meat availability was super limited, so it was many nails in the coffin at the same time.

The first 2 years I really enjoyed it as people would come by 2-3 times a week for my BBQ. It was physically and mentally exhausting though. My wife worked a normal 9-5 type job, and I was essentially on the graveyard shift. I'd do my BBQ lunch service, get home at about 1pm, clean the dishes and food trailer, and then I'd be in bed by about 3pm. This way I could be rested enough to get back up at about 10-11pm to start cooking for the next days service. So I rarely saw my wife and I was working roughly 12-14 hours per day. It was hard work and long hours and especially so during the summer when you're doing 200Lbs of meat in the heat / humidity of July/August.

Next time someone says "Hey, you should open a BBQ restaurant" ask them if they want to invest $250K+ to get you up and running. Barriers to entry in restaurants are massive in both the costs and the fact that you're constantly dealing with the local government. Government is slow, inefficient, and corrupt in some aspects. Trying to get those clowns to do their job on any reasonable timeline was an impossible task. I also had a poor experience with getting my BBQ food trailer built in a timely manner. Initial quote was 6 weeks....6 weeks later they hadn't even started on the build. In the end it took over 3 months (IIRC), and that cost me money.

To be successful you have to have the passion and desire to make it work. If you're not 100% dead sure you want to do it then go ahead and dismiss the idea entirely.

Back