How soon to order wagyu brisket before using?

DECENT BBQ

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
Derrick
Hey guys
I was wondering how far in advance I should order wagyu briskets before intending to use, and roughly how long do they take to thaw? I'll be ordering from snake river farms for a competition on the 26th.

Up to this point I've been using Costco Prime briskets, will there be much in the change of cook times with the wagyu? I'm debating on buying one sooner to give it a "test drive" to see if they cook faster or longer, but figured I'd ask y'all first and maybe save myself a small fortune lol.

Thanks!!!

Last wagyu I cooked for a comp had been in the freezer for about a year, prolly the reason I only scored a 175?

The biggest difference will prolly be the feeling/probing of doness, I think they need cooked a little longer then when you think they are finished.

Figure about 5 days thawing time, if frozen solid.

If you are doing SRF... 30 days(thawed) on the blacks and the golds are ready to go. I typically do just blacks because of cost. Is there a science behind it? No. ;)

They can hang in the freezer for quite a while. Not doing as many events I'll order 2-4 at a time and they keep frozen great. I've used one a year in the freezer that still did well......and i've used some that came that same week that bombed :becky:.

Thawing can take 5 days or so, but if you get it into a sink of water that first day for a few hours changing the water a few times you can cut it down to 2 or 3 days.

They do not cook faster (if someone has actual stats on that please share), but is just something people say because they've seen others say it and cooking one isn't a big sample size so you won't know if it does get done sooner if that was because it was a wagyu or size compared to all your prior cooks.

Let us know how it goes!

I've cooked 2 SRF Black Waygu briskets and while they don't cook faster, they do appear to finish faster if you're going by probe tenderness. First one I cooked was at a competition and it probed perfectly at about 205-206IT in the flat. So I pulled it, wrapped it, and held it for a couple of hours. Come turn-in time and I start slicing into and it's all still so much fat that it was barely edible. Lucky for me I had a CAB (Choice) brisket as a backup, which I turned in, and took 6th place in brisket that day.

The issue is all that intermuscular fat gets soft when it gets hot, and on the flat there is so much of it that it really does require you to cook it longer / to a higher internal temp to finish. 2nd waygu brisket I did I cooked it until it was 210IT in the flat and it came out MUCH better.

I would certainly cook a backup brisket if you're doing your first waygu at a competition.

I've cooked 2 SRF Black Waygu briskets and while they don't cook faster, they do appear to finish faster if you're going by probe tenderness. First one I cooked was at a competition and it probed perfectly at about 205-206IT in the flat. So I pulled it, wrapped it, and held it for a couple of hours. Come turn-in time and I start slicing into and it's all still so much fat that it was barely edible. Lucky for me I had a CAB (Choice) brisket as a backup, which I turned in, and took 6th place in brisket that day.

The issue is all that intermuscular fat gets soft when it gets hot, and on the flat there is so much of it that it really does require you to cook it longer / to a higher internal temp to finish. 2nd waygu brisket I did I cooked it until it was 210IT in the flat and it came out MUCH better.

I would certainly cook a backup brisket if you're doing your first waygu at a competition.

This is extremely valuable feedback, thanks! Due to the size of my smoker, I'll be putting the brisket in a cambro to make room for the ribs. Hopefully this will help with this issue as well.

Are you referring to the point or the flat?

Back