THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Royalslover

Full Fledged Farker
Never cooked beef plate short ribs before. I'm talking the ribs that have four bones and are about 8" x 8" and about 1.5" thick. I bought two of them in a pack from Sams. Can't wait to have people over but didn't know how many of them it will feed. What say the brethren?

I am with Terry. I would figure 1 per person. They are so good people will over eat. Your friends will be impressed.

Short ribs are pretty big and meaty. It depends on the company, big eaters then one bone a person, if not than half a bone. Also depends on if your doing other meat also. I cooked one rack of short ribs along with a pork butt and two racks of baby backs for eight adults and seven kids, was more than enough.

If you go by my son, a lot
He was recently in Fort Worth and went to a all you can eat beef ribs place, I don't know what type of ribs, he said they were pretty big, and he ate 12 of them. :shocked:
I think he went into a meat coma.

Man, I've never had short ribs. I haven't been able to find them around these parts. Your talking about serving one bone per person and it might be to much? Didn't realize there was that much to them. I figured I could smash two easily

He was recently in Fort Worth and went to a all you can eat beef ribs place, I don't know what type of ribs, he said they were pretty big, and he ate 12 of them. :shocked:

Holy schikes! if he ate 12 of these bad boys he's still in a meat place. I don't think it would be possible, lol. Thanks for the help, I will go with one per person.

That would probably be Riscky's. When they are on, they are great and it's one of the best deals in DFW.

I'm guessing those were back ribs. Plate ribs and chuck ribs (this are the two kinds of short ribs), usually come on primals that weigh 7-10lbs. I believe a plate will have three ribs and a chuck 4. So you are talking 2+ lbs uncooked per rib. Even factoring in the bone and saying you only yield 25% (this is probably low), 12 ribs would be 8lbs or so of cooked beef. That would be like eating an entire brisket by yourself.

Back ribs are also delicious, but hard to find, and often not very meaty. It's the part that's left over if you bone out a standing rib roast. As you might imagine, the butcher wants to leave as much meat on the rib roast as he can. So the ribs don't have much meat on them.

I did some beef plate ribs a couple weeks ago and found that one rib per person is plenty - especially if you offer up sides. They are super rich in flavor - it would be hard to eat more than one. If you're talking short ribs then maybe two.

Proof.... :mrgreen:

19gItG.jpg

I had my first short ribs a few months ago. They are MEATY! One rib lasted me for two meals, with sides of course.

Where do you guys normally buy these? I never can seem to find them in the store.

I had never seen them whole in the meat racks around here either, but do see them cut into thin strips for korean style (?). So I asked the butcher if they cut these in house and he said yes so I asked if I could have a whole plate. Few mins later I was walking out with a 4 bone plate of short ribs, and $40 poorer. :shock:

I always ask the butcher. Sams or the local grocery store. I usually can walk out with a 4 bone rack or 2 and sometimes 4.
I have a cryovac of 2 four bone racks in my refrigerator right now. I bought them for the throwdown, and they still sit there. I ended up working Saturday and Sunday didn't get it done. Something to look forward to.

Yep. Go to your local grocery store, go back to the meat department, press the little button by the door, and tell the guy you are looking for an uncut Beef Short Rib Plate. The one's I get at HEB usually have 4 bones and are usually about 1' by 1' and anywhere from 1" to 2" thick on average. Rub a little W sauce and some SPOG on them, smoke until a toothpick goes easily between each bone, usually 6 to 7 hours at 275*.

0D4BADF6-EBF3-452C-9791-BA14B7B6307F_zpsfuzho8xc.jpg

Back