THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I generally take at least 2 bites of chicken. Sometimes even after a cracker and water there is a leftover taste from the sample before. First bite is to neutralize the last one, second bite is to get the taste of what I am judging at the time. I also try to hold a thigh (if that's what I get) between my thumb and middle finger while keeping my index on the skin. I don't score down for loose skin unless it is like rubber. If it is presented with skin, it will get judged for tenderness. If you get 3 or more bites, you are good. At least at my table.
I was gonna say if they are taking two bites that you have already impressed a judge! But after reading this...........well it kinda either pisses me off or just gives me a sick stomach.......after all the work I've done to get that perfect bite of chicken it turns out that it's just a pallet cleanser:mad2:!

I'm sorry I didn't want anyone to misinterpret my comment on the my last post.

It REALLY PISSES me off if your not sure if my (your) first bite of chicken might not be enough for you to judge it because your pallet is not cleansed!.......................BULLSH!T

:mad2::mad2::mad2:

If you want my honest opinion pm me!!!!

• Thanks
Reactions: Coz

It REALLY PISSES me off if your not sure if my (your) first bite of chicken might not be enough for you to judge it because your pallet is not cleansed!.......................BULLSH!T

Are you really sure you want to bust a Judge's balls for trying to be thorough and give every sample the best chance at a fair score?

If you've ever eaten a piece of meat that has been badly over smoked or seasoned so heavily with salt or spice, you know that it can take more than a saltine and a swig of water to get that taste out of your mouth. I applaud and appreciate a Judge who takes the time and multiple bites necessary to give my food their best assessment.

I have found a way to trim the pillow thighs and still retain skin attachment. Then all I need is proper placement in the box so the first bite is specific to one "side". Although I do realize that it may backfire with a left handed judge :)

Would you prefer a judge stops at 1 bite, even if they are unsure? Have you ever tasted something..ANYTHING, and think "hmm..this is a little off" only to take another bite, or drink and say "wow, there we go! that's good". Wine is a GREAT example of something that you usually need 2 sips to get a true taste.

This judge is saying "I'm not going to judge your chicken(meat) on my first bite, as it may not be a fair bite. Instead I'll take another to FULLY assess the taste of this meat".

Sorry, but I applaud that. In some circles, it's called "not jumping to conclusions".

Are you really sure you want to bust a Judge's balls for trying to be thorough and give every sample the best chance at a fair score?

If you've ever eaten a piece of meat that has been badly over smoked or seasoned so heavily with salt or spice, you know that it can take more than a saltine and a swig of water to get that taste out of your mouth. I applaud and appreciate a Judge who takes the time and multiple bites necessary to give my food their best assessment.

I think I pulled a muscle jumping to conclusion. I was out of line and I apologize for my harsh remarks. BUT the way I cook my chicken I always get perfect bite through on the 1st bite. Not so much on the second bite once the integrity of this skin is broken. So I'm picturing a judge actually judging the bite that possibly may have a glob of skin on his chin. When I posted that I had just driven 11 hours home from a class and listening to a couple master judges talking how they hate a big hunk of skin coming off.

Again my apologies.

At this point I judge as follows: bite, ponder, decide a score, if score is less than 9 for either taste or tenderness, bite again, further pondering, if scores are still not 9, possibly bite for a 3rd time depending on if there is something that I need further confirmation about before finalizing my score

Frequently the entries I enjoy the least get the most sampling, as I am trying to give the benefit to the cook team that there is some good eating on the piece of meat and I just need to find it... doesn't always work out that way though

I think I pulled a muscle jumping to conclusion. I was out of line and I apologize for my harsh remarks. BUT the way I cook my chicken I always get perfect bite through on the 1st bite. Not so much on the second bite once the integrity of this skin is broken. So I'm picturing a judge actually judging the bite that possibly may have a glob of skin on his chin. When I posted that I had just driven 11 hours home from a class and listening to a couple master judges talking how they hate a big hunk of skin coming off.

Again my apologies.

Completely understandable and Great reply!

This is why I like this group. We can comment and have it not get nasty or personal.

I also see what you're saying about the skin coming off on the second bite. Hopefully a seasoned judge going in for #2, has a different objective in mind...in this case maybe taste vs. tenderness of that skin/meat??

I see you're cooking in Winchester. I'll stop over and say hello!

At this point I judge as follows: bite, ponder, decide a score, if score is less than 9 for either taste or tenderness, bite again, further pondering, if scores are still not 9, possibly bite for a 3rd time depending on if there is something that I need further confirmation about before finalizing my score

Frequently the entries I enjoy the least get the most sampling, as I am trying to give the benefit to the cook team that there is some good eating on the piece of meat and I just need to find it... doesn't always work out that way though

Yeah, I'd say if I was taking a second bite, it was to make sure I was correct with a nine. At that point it's all about taste and the skin coming loose is not a factor.

If I have a piece of chicken that's 7 or below, it will only be one bite...oh well!

1st bite starts the judging process, 2nd bite confirms the score....hell it's not rocket science here kids.
3rd and 4th bite are just for me!!!
Ed

I would love to have the judges take that 3rd and 4th bite from my chicken turn in.

I also judge and have finished all entires, then gone back and finished off a real good piece of chicken.

Nothing better than a great turn in!

Back