THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

15wm14x.jpg
If it works for you tiss all good:clap:

I had the same issue when I started using my UDS. The fire would eventually clean up though. I just try to run my smoker at the temperature where it's clean. Not necessarily 225 or 250. Earlier in cooks it seems like it wants to run clean at higher temps.

I use the standard bung 2.5" exhaust that has an area of about 4.9" area and my 3 -3/4" intakes total about 1.32" area if all open (maybe less with the ball valve being a bit smaller). I'm going to make two of my intakes larger, maybe 1.25" pipe nipples. That should give me 2.9 sq inch area of intake and 4.9" exhaust.

Right now I can hit about 350° with all intakes open on oak lump. Any thoughts?

Yeah, competition Q doesn't necessarily equate to "good" Q. There's a hand full of serious teams that are in it to win it but then there is the majority that are there to party and don't really care about producing a good product. Some of the comp BBQ that I've had was borderline or downright inedible!!!:icon_sick If someone is a multiple champion using regular briquettes, it speaks volumes about the level of competition that he's been winning against and with the exception of Harry Soo, Myron Mixon and a few others a lot of the cook off champions using charcoal briquettes are just better than average backyard cooks.
There have been many champions of the competition circuits that have opened Q joints and failed miserably because there's a HUGE difference between competition Q and the quality product that we as consumers expect and pay our hard earned money for.:wink:
I took his class and we ate the ribs, brisket and PP and it was very good.

I was using stubbs for this cook and I have a pitmaster IQ hooked up with the top vent wide open, and for the first hr or so it pours smoke. I think waiting as most of u have said is the trick. Not sold on stubbs yet, normally I use B&B natural hardwood briq from academy sports and have had good results.

Back