How do you get better?

So no a negativity to the CBJ program from me. I just don't see how it helps.

I agree that the CBJ class doesn't help a cook much, but it is a requirement in order to do actual judging, which is a big shortcut.

If you judge only 5 events, you've seen and sampled the best effort from other pro teams over 100 times. There is no other way I know of that a cook can be exposed to so many actual examples of turn-ins in a compressed period of time. Of course not all of these will be GC-worthy, but many will be, and a beginning team can learn just as much from a weak box as a strong one. (i.e. what not to do)

Can't argue Gowan. My personal feelings are you need to learn how to properly cook a piece of meat before you worry about flavors. I can guarantee you that the top teams can be given any rub (not their normal rubs) and still win.. why? Because the meat is cooked perfectly every time.. You won't get anything in a CBJ class on how to achieve that perfectly cooked piece of meat.

Can't argue Gowan. My personal feelings are you need to learn how to properly cook a piece of meat before you worry about flavors. I can guarantee you that the top teams can be given any rub (not their normal rubs) and still win.. why? Because the meat is cooked perfectly every time.. You won't get anything in a CBJ class on how to achieve that perfectly cooked piece of meat.

Have to agree with you Scottie. I'm far from a top cook or expert, but I left my chicken rub at home this last weekend. Made do with what I had, heard my name called for 2nd place. I think rubs are a little overrated at times, but cooking it correctly is a must.

Back