THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

captjoe06

Full Fledged Farker
All month long I’ve been looking forward to the first Patriots playoff game to smoke up some ribs for the crew. Babyback ribs were on sale so I picked up three racks and looked at the forecast yesterday which said the rain and snow was supposed to stop between noon and 2pm today.
Well fast forward to today and there’s no rain at all, instead it’s a full on sideways huge wind snowstorm.
Not to be deterred by the weather we forge ahead!
Babybacks were on sale at Stop and Shop yesterday but they didn’t have them in yet and would be frozen so I went to Market Basket, paid a little more from them but they were in the case unfrozen.
20160116_102117-01.jpeg

Took the ribs out of the cryovac and gave them a thorough rinse.
20160116_103131-01.jpeg
20160116_103151-01.jpeg

Next piercing the sinewy membrane on the bone side of the ribs and peeled off the membrane. This is not difficult at all. just carefully slide your knife under the membrane til you get to the other side and once you have enough lifted away from the meat take a paper towel to help you grip the membrane and pull it away from the rib. It may take one or two trys to get it all off but this step should not intimidate you. It’s alot easier than it looks.
20160116_103336-01.jpeg
20160116_103554-01.jpeg

Once the membrane is off pat the ribs down with a paper towel to get them dry of any excess moisture from when you washed them.
20160116_104431-01.jpeg

Next slather a small amount of yellow mustard on the ribs which is used to help adhere the rub to the ribs. You won’t taste the yellow mustard it’s simply used to aid in adhering the rub so there’s no need to go out and purchase some fancy expensive mustard for this.
20160116_105257-01.jpeg
20160116_105357-01.jpeg

Now for the rub. I use the Paul Prudhomme rub for just about everything. It’s fantastic. Apply liberally on all sides and let the ribs rest for a couple hours.
20160116_105452-01.jpeg

Next to set up the Weber Smokey Mountain Smoker.
The wind is driving the snow sideways . Going out for ten minutes my sweater is completely drenched with wet snow. Took about ten minutes just to get the chimney lit.
Set up the smoker using the minion method with the charcoal basket at the bottom of the smoker hollowed out and the inside circumference of the charcoal basket lined with briquettes, cherry wood chips and apple chunks. Once the 1/3 of a chimney of briquettes got going I dumped them into the center of the charcoal basket, looking for a gradual build up in temperatures to 225-250.
20160116_111921_hdr-01.jpeg
20160116_112649-01.jpeg

So now that the pit temps hit 200 we toss the Ribs on
20160116_115724-01.jpeg

Luckily last weekend I bought a nice plastic cover for the Maverick remote temperature gauge/ These things don’t like to get wet and today probably would have fried the unit if it wasn’t in the plastic housing. $2.99 cents at Ocean State Job Lot was a good insurance policy for the sensor to stay dry.
20160116_115755-01.jpeg

Looking real good so far. The game is gonna be awesome if that's your weather - 4:40 here we come - good luck - the Pats are going to need it!

Looking good so far! No snow(t) on the ground here in Indiana, but I'm fighting < 32F temps to accomplish the same thing... I question my sanity.

I now feel bad it is 56 and sunny here.............:icon_blush:

Ribs looks good! I'm cooking on my WSM today for the 1st time in a while.

Sorry about the snow :-D

I'm gonna wrap the ribs in a half hour. What do you guys think, brown sugar and honey inside the foil , or bbq sauce inside the foil, or nothing inside the foil? I have some Stubbs, Sweet Baby Rays and Brown Sugar and Honey. Maybe I should do two racks one way, two another and the last one another just to see how different they come out.

What would you guys do?

I'm gonna wrap the ribs in a half hour. What do you guys think, brown sugar and honey inside the foil , or bbq sauce inside the foil, or nothing inside the foil? I have some Stubbs, Sweet Baby Rays and Brown Sugar and Honey. Maybe I should do two racks one way, two another and the last one another just to see how different they come out.

What would you guys do?

Definitely do it a few ways. Sometimes instead of wrapping with stuff I'll just add the stuff to the tops of the ribs and let it cook in as it smokes. So you can add another layer of flavor without the foil if you want.

Update-

Two hours in I wasn’t satisfied with the color, and the Weber Smokey Mountain had been cruising along at 225. I opened the fuel door and saw quite a bit of charcoal had been used up. Figuring we needed another two hours of heat and looking for a little more heat I fired up 2/3 a chimney of briquettes and added them to the charcoal basket. I also mixed up a container of a couple of tablespoons of Stubbs BBQ sauce, a couple of ounces of apple cider vinegar and a tablespoon of tabasco sauce and spritzed the ribs.
20160116_141804-01.jpeg

The snow has stopped, it’s just raw and cold out but the extra lit charcoal has helped the temps on the pit climb.
screenshot_2016-01-16-14-22-40.png

2:45PM Pull the ribs off the pit and foil them.
20160116_143452-01.jpeg

A drizzle of honey, a drizzle of Sweet Baby Rays and a light sprinkle of brown sugar. Ribs foiled meat side down and back on the smoker.
20160116_143949-01.jpeg
20160116_144555_hdr-01.jpeg

Few minor flakes falling down out here in Fort Wayne.
2016-01-16%2015.57.34_zpsap3agabk.jpg

How're those bones looking now, eh?

Back