THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wesman61

is Blowin Smoke!
I smoked a brisket in the OC Smokehouse for the first time Wed. While it was mostly amazing the flat was a little over cooked and the point was a little under cooked. I'm used to smoking brisket on an offset which I sold to a friend. Are you able to get a brisket cooked just right from end to end?

Pretty Much. Could have just been the brisket . Was the point really fatty.? My flats are slightly overcooked by some people standards -but that's how I like them. I have never had a point to be under cooked - on any cooker.

I like Fat cap down. I cut out All of the hard Fat between the point and flat and on the end of the point . Run 275-300*. Usually run naked but if the edges of the flat look to be getting charred I will wrap and with your paper. I Do a water pans - 1. To even out temps, 2. I don't like drippings burning on Hot plate baffle over the fire.

Last edited:
almost sounds like you found a hot spot. try cooking it 180 degrees different next time. just a guess.

Pretty Much. Could have just been the brisket . Was the point really fatty.? My flats are slightly overcooked by some people standards -but that's how I like them. I have never had a point to be under cooked - on any cooker.

I like Fat cap down. I cut out All of the hard Fat between the point and flat and on the end of the point . Run 275-300*. Usually run naked but if the edges of the flat look to be getting charred I will wrap and with your paper. I Do a water pans - 1. To even out temps, 2. I don't like drippings burning on Hot plate baffle over the fire.
Yeah, usually the point will be fall apart tender before the flat. I cooked around 280° but the temps got away from a couple of times toward the last 2 or 3 hours. I cooked it fat cap down. I was really happy and don't mind the crispy corners on the flat. Thanks for the response.

Was the flat pretty thin? I tend to overcook the flat when it is much thinner than what I usually work with.

In addition to thick Floppy Flats I try to tell if point has more Hard Fat or not - try to get softer feeling points. Can't always tell but I've had a packer or two with really fatty points and harder Fat that I had to just chop and pick Fat out and was less meat than Normal.

Back