Help choosing smoker

I have two stickburners, one horizontal offset and one vertical (which also can be used as a grill). They're both 20-25 years old. Neither are known, fancy brands -- they cost less than $2000 (as far as I can recall) -- but back then that seemed to be, and was, a lot of money for a smoker. I was willing to pay it for the high quality and thick steel.

They've both sat outside in the weather for 20-25 years (including 5 years in snow and rain in England), I don't cover them (at least not after the first 5 years), and I've never sanded, painted, or otherwise treated them, ever. Hell, I'm lucky if I even clean them more than once per year. Yet they're both as solid, functional, and effective as the day I bought them. Yes, they have a few rust spots on the outside, but nothing really eating into the steel and what's there doesn't bother me.

I guess this is a long way of saying that IMHO buying a stainless steel stickburner is simply not worth the money. You should be able to get a fantastic thick regular steel stickburner for $2000-4000, depending upon size and features. This site has several lists of makers; get it and have fun checking out each maker. And if you can find a maker you like near where you live, you can save on shipping also.

Go to some competitions and talk to people who are actually competing. What are they using? Why are they using that? What would they do differently?

Don't shop for your smoker like you would a classic double rifle for a once in a lifetime Elephant hunt by reading random forum posts and websites.

Sure, you can get a nice 500 Nitro Express double for ~$20K but, can you shoot it? If you shoot it, can you hit anything with it? Maybe a 404Jeffery bolt action for ~$2K would work better for you?

In terms of competing, whether you use Weber Smokey Mountains or Ugly Drum Smokers or ... it's all about the skill of the guy or gal tending the smoker and what they did with the meat. A $12K rig won't help you win any more than a ~$3K rig.

As you have already learned, Stainless Steel for you is a total waste of money. If cosmetics are your thing, ~$2K of paint will make it look sharp, at least according to your personal taste! :razz:

If I had $3~4K to spend on a smoker like you appear to want, I would buy a used Shirley Fabrication model and start using it. You could sell it in a year or two and get your money back when you REALLY know what you REALLY want.

Check Hoss's rig, that's gotta be close

that was kind of my point...why spend $12k on a cooker that is just a cooker when for that kind of money you can get a kitchen on wheels with a really nice cooker, grill, fryer, griddle, etc.

How hard is it to move a large smoker (800-1000lbs)on and off a trailer or should I just mount them? I'm guessing I would need to buy a winch if I don't mount.

The reason I ask is because I'd like to build a smoker collection lol. I don't want what I bring to comps to be limited by what is simply mounted on a trailer.

The reason I ask is because I'd like to build a smoker collection lol. I don't want what I bring to comps to be limited by what is simply mounted on a trailer.
I like how you think. My wife calls my garage "The Smoker Showroom".

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Back