Help choosing smoker

BKING!

is Blowin Smoke!
Name or Nickame
Brent
Long post warning!

New member here. Been BBQing for 3 years and everyone can now see (myself included) that I am addicted. Currently own a kamado joe big joe and a pig pig trailer rig. I intend on competing in the next year or so. Could care less how I do and just doing it for experience and fun.
Kamado joe- love it, easy to use, low maintenance, and will last forever.
Green mountain big pig rig- pellet smoker, runs itself, and works very well.

I intended on the pellet smoker being my competition rig until I realized that pellet smokers aren't for me. Don't get me wrong, it works great but a few points:

1. This is a hobby I do for fun. To me it's not fun running a pellet smoker. I like playing with fire! The thermostat I am alright with .though. It just doesn't feel like the real deal.
2. When I could be sleeping sound while it runs over night, I just can't do it. Moving parts that can break at any time freaks me out.
3. The flavor is good and everyone likes the food that comes off of it but I would like a little more control over smoke flavor. Sometimes I want TBS smoke and sometimes I want a little bit of smoldering.

What I'm looking for:
1. Something as durable or close to as my kamado joe.
2.Charcoal/ stick burner
3. Large enough to compete and do a wedding with.
4. No moving parts! Guru/ stoker is fine since I can simply operate manually if. Need be. I don't want a blown auger motor or a stuck rotesserie when I really need it to work during competition or events.

So far I'm considering a custom reverse flow all stainless pitmaker magnum sniper on an all stainless competition cart. Only thing that wouldn't be 304 stainless would be the chrome rims, tires, and thermometer. It should run me about $12500 to $13000 and should last forever. Also at 4300 sq in of cooking space I should never have to worry about running out of space.

I'm also considering the short sniper and long sniper as well. Any other very durable stainless smokers out there? Someone who can custom make them? Also is getting stainless and good move for durability purposes or am I doing overkill here?

Wow! Lsg has some good looking options! I'll have to look closer at their site tonight. Another smoker that really caught my eye was the spicewine trailer. That thing is sexy! It's the one that is $8000. If he could offer stainless racks, firegrate, and door I would really consider that one maybe above the pitmaker even.

I think that would be wise for me to check some smokers out at competitions. I'll look over all your recommendations tonight. Thanks!

Do any of you know if the spicewine offers stainless racks, fire grate, and door? Really like me the look of their trailer

That's a cute little smoker. For that budget have you considered building 100 or so UDS's?:wink:

Good luck in your search and welcome to the Brethren!

Attachments

• magnum_sniper_7-min.jpg
    magnum_sniper_7-min.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 272
The more I look at gravity feeds the better they look. Any drawbacks to them?
On some of them the bottom rack is 75-100 degrees hotter. Could be good or bad. You still have to feed wood unless you put wood in with the charcoal.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

4300 square inches isn't much more than my 24x55 Shirley and I promise you it wasn't $12k. I'd love to see what LSG or Shirley could build for $12k.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

The more I look at gravity feeds the better they look. Any drawbacks to them?

The only drawback that I'd see with a gravity for you is that it's a set and forget unit. Stumps or Assasin. I have a buddy that I help a LOT w/ IT for his business for free (knowing someday that he'd owe me). Anyway, he has a plasma cutter.

I had him build me a Stumps clone and the thing is beast and sexy looking. We used 12 gauge for all the double walls. I also had a nice charcoal w/ black specks powder coat added to it.

I paid for what needed to be bought, but he built everything else with scraps. I did it for under $1000 and tipped him to $1100.

Anyway, I have pellet, drum, ceramic, gravity, and offset. They are each like kids to me. I love them the same!

Thanks for all the helpful responses guys! I am definitely going to look through that thread smitty. The reason for the high $$$ price on the pitmaker was because it was thick and heavily insulated 304 stainless with stainless competition cart through and through. The question is whether or not the stainless is worth the $$$. That is really my biggest question since durability is my main priority for my next smoker.

Check out a gc48.

I have the gc28 and as far as quality and craftsmanship, they are as good at it gets.

Back