Heirloom Pits

Those look really nice! Their patio model doesn't have a collector I notice, but they all appear well-built.

Those look really nice! Their patio model doesn't have a collector I notice, but they all appear well-built.

i was wondering about the collector myself, I've seen a few places that dont do that and was curious why. anybody have an answer?

Heirloom choice?

i was wondering about the collector myself, I've seen a few places that dont do that and was curious why. anybody have an answer?

Well, from what I understand, the "collector" is a relatively new addition to offset smokers.

Perhaps he is doing true "heirloom" units...and older ones wouldn't have them?

It does appear that it is a fairly fat chimney and at least it appears to exit at or about grate height in the cook chamber....so, it has that going for it.

I think the newer "Goldie's" pits have the same type stack...no true collector.
Then again the Goldie's pit is REALLY unusual, especially in how it moves heat and smoke from firebox to cook chamber...

Anyway.....just my $0.02.

cayenne

They don't appear to have a stack collector until the 250G version.
What they show looks good but it's about the same view on every pit and doesn't show everything I want to see. I.E., I only find 1 shot of the firebox door and it doesn't have a damper.

Fwiw

They don't appear to have a stack collector until the 250G version.
What they show looks good but it's about the same view on every pit and doesn't show everything I want to see. I.E., I only find 1 shot of the firebox door and it doesn't have a damper.

For what it's worth....on my first "real" offset....no damper there either.

I've not missed having one at all...mine does have a notch I can rest the handle on to keep the door open about 1/2 inch....and really usually that and stack full open, I don't need anything else.

Just my $0.02,

cayenne

I've not missed having one at all...mine does have a notch I can rest the handle on to keep the door open about 1/2 inch....and really usually that and stack full open, I don't need anything else.

Just my $0.02,

cayenne

I realize not all pits have intake dampers and some folks are happy w/o them. On the other hand intake and exhaust dampers are two of my requirements. IMNSHO pits w/o them are crude and unfinished just like poor fitting doors. Especially so at the prices of Heirloom, Franklin, and the like. I feel the same way about poorly designed and executed dampers And air leaks around doors.

If there had been an intake damper on your first real offset you might miss it now.:wink:

Damper

I had an offset with a damper and cut it out. Way over rated. Edit- I mean between the firebox and chamber.

Just my $0.02,

cayenne

It’s interesting to see how some of the top pit builders add or omit the firebox dampers. Millscale, Pitmaker and Moberg don’t use them while M+M, Outlaw and Centex do.

Back