Hatch chilies?

Geez, Bob...that 1st one about killed me (with goodness!!!).....saving the rest for later..............:clap2:

Your tater packets reminded me of an old dish we got as kids. Cubed taters, cubed SPAM, and some green chile. Burrito style maybe with some onion, cilantro, tomato and garlic. Good stuff. We even brought SPAM into the thread!:laugh:

Hatch Chile Sausage recipe

I surewould like to have your sausage recipe Mr. Brisket. I make my own sausage and I spent 20 years in El Paso so I do understand Hatch Chile.

I surewould like to have your sausage recipe Mr. Brisket. I make my own sausage and I spent 20 years in El Paso so I do understand Hatch Chile.

My recipe is pretty simple: "Cubed up around 16 lbs of butt on Friday night and let in marinade till Saturday morning in some apple juice, wooster and soy. Then went about and added fresh onion, garlic, cilantro, roasted green chiles, a few spices and then went from there." Quoted from an old thread.

As for the spices, that's just cumin, salt, and pepper. Or Montreal seasoning and cumin. One other thing I always add is celery seed. That's about it. I only make fresh sausage that is to be cooked or smoked within a day or two or just frozen. I've made batches where I carmelized the onions and roasted the garlic and those were great too, just a bit more work.

Thanks,

Bob

Last edited:
Now, Adams, Bob, or anyone who has long experience with these....

Do you ever have any problem with the skin being a little tough & paperey-like....if so, what's the remedy or what am I doing wrong maybe?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rT5fYMfEUc"]Bubba on Shrimp - Forrest Gump (3/9) Movie CLIP (1994) HD - YouTube[/ame]

Im In Phoenix and every year I go up to Winslow and get roasted chiles from New Mexico .. Some guy has a 18 wheeler flatbed with 4 dumpsters full of chiles and a giant roaster on the back I take and Ice chest And fill it up for about $25-30 and freeze the chiles when Home and use as needed .. Sure I can get them in town But its a fun road trip and I like to support that guy .! :clap2:

Last edited:
A lot of good suggestions here, Hatch chilies are usually available in August. Here is what I do. First, contact your grocer produce guy and ask him if you can get a break on a 20lb bag of hatch chilies (or two!). There are two kinds, hot and mild so sometimes I get both. They always give you a deal. Roast them on your grill, gasser or kettle, until the skin bubbles and gets a bit charred. Put them in a brown paper bag and close it up right off the grill so they steam for about 10 minutes. This way, the skin can be removed easily (it is essentially indigestible). Use some latex gloves to handle the peppers. Pull the seeds out and keep the body. Now you have roasted chilies that you can add to any dish, and they freeze so well you can keep them in a ziplock for a year and use all the time!

Second way. Same as above, but after you steam them in the bag, put them through a food mill. No need to remove skin or seeds. You will ground pulp of the chilies, kinda the consistency of grits, and the seeds and skin will remain in the mill (you will have to clean it out a couple times). You can use this for sauces, soups, etc. Put it in mason jars only filled 3/4 of the way to the top and will freeze for a year or more. You can then just zap the jar (lid off) in the microwave for 30 seconds to thaw a bit and add however much you want to any dish or make a killer sauce for whatever.

A bit of work, will take a couple hours but you will have awesome flavors for the rest of the year (do I smell smoked pulled pork tamales with hatch chili sauce and a fried egg for breakfast in November? ...you bet your ass I do.).

Are they big enough to make chile rellenos with? Those are my favorite - we usually use poblanos, and the Hatch is just a tad hotter than they are. I bet the Hatches would be farktastic in a chile relleno!

I am asking for my wife, are the mild really mild, or come with a little heat. How do the hot ones compair to jalopinos?
Dave

I found the easiest way to make sure they come out perfect is to really char them all over, just short of burnt up. Then I put them in a plastic grocery back, inside of another grocery bag to get it as sealed as possible. I feel the plastic helps it sweat more than paper bag, which is how I used to do it. Then when they've been in bag for about 10 to 15 minutes, I put them in cold water to sit for about 5 to 10 minutes.

After that, the charred skin slides right off nice and easy, and you're ready to go!

I usually get them roasted. On a burger, a hot dog, a brat. Its all good! You can make green chile with them. I like to eat them mixed in with my pulled pork. Dice some and hot chilis and throw them in my spaghetti sauce for a little heat. We also eat them with cheese and crackers. I could go on and on.

I buy about 15 pounds every year at Publix. I roast them and put them up. I skin them when I use them. Most go into a green chile /gumbo concoction with any of the three food groups -- pulled chicken, pork and beef. Some years the chiles are hot as hell others not so much. A dollop of sour cream is a must when it's on the hot side.

Seriously, you're only limited by your imagination. Wherever-whatever your eating at whichever meal, it would probably be enhanced by roasted green chile

For the last few Octobers, I've been visiting my family in Colorado and I get a couple of burlap bags of these from a street vendor with a big moving van full in Denver. He sells regular Hatches and mild. The regular's were pretty damn hot for the old gringos. The mild were mild in fact, but the bags indicated the origin was southern Colorado.

Are they big enough to make chile rellenos with? Those are my favorite - we usually use poblanos, and the Hatch is just a tad hotter than they are. I bet the Hatches would be farktastic in a chile relleno!

You are correct! They are usually thicker walled(meatier) than Poblano's. I get them roasted, 30lbs at a time and freeze for the rest of the year. I pull a couple of pounds out of the sack before having the rest roasted.

Roasted peppers are a bit too done for rellenos for me. So I take the fresh ones and roast them myself just as you do with poblanos.

Then we make chlies rellenos, a treat after all the work of sorting, portioning, bagging and freezing our yearly bushel of Hatch Chile.

In SoCal, Albertson's and Bristol Farms markets have released the roasting schedules, Ralph's has also had roasting events for a few years now also.

Here's Albertson's list:
Hatch Chile Roasting Sales Schedule:
Saturday, August 2 –
• Alhambra Albertsons – 2400 W. Commonwealth – Phone: 626.293.7100
• Chula Vista Albertsons – 720 3rd Ave at J Street – Phone: 619.498.5160
Saturday, August 9 –
• La Habra Albertsons – 1800 W. Whittier Blvd. at Beach – Phone: 562.697.6442
• Bakersfield Albertsons – 2691 Mt. Vernon at Columbus – Phone: 661.872.3511
Saturday, August 16 -
• Rancho Cucamonga Albertsons – 8850 Foothill Blvd. at Vineyard – Phone: 909.484.7237
• Arcadia Albertsons – 298 E. Live Oak Ave at Tyler – Phone: 626.446.1416
Saturday, August 23-
• Costa Mesa Albertsons – 2300-C Harbor Blvd. at Wilson – Phone: 949.515.7227
• Carpinteria Albertsons – 1018 Casitas Pass Road at Carpinteria – Phone: 805.684.2731
Saturday, August 30-
• Reseda Albertsons – 19307 Saticoy St. at Tampa – Phone: 818.772.0010
• Montebello Albertsons – 2469 Via Campo at Wilcox – Phone: 323.888.2250
Saturday, September 6-
• Temecula Albertsons – 31960 Temecula Parkway at Margarita Road – Phone: 951.303.1133
• Escondido Albertsons – 1509 East Valley Parkway at Rose – Phone: 760.735.5163

Here is Bristol Farms 2014 schedule:
Saturday August 16th
Rolling Hills
837 Silver Spur Rd.
Rolling Hills, CA 90274
Saturday August 23rd
Westchester
8448 Lincoln Blvd
Westchester, CA 90045
Saturday August 23rd
South Pasadena
606 Fair Oaks Ave
South Pasadena, CA 91030
Saturday August 30th
Newport Beach
810 Avocado Ave.
Newport Beach, CA 92660
Saturday August 30th
Santa Monica
3105 Wilshire Blvd.
Santa Monica, CA 90403
Saturday September 6th
Palm Desert
73101 Country Club Dr.
Palm Desert, CA 92260
Saturday September 13th
La Jolla
8510 Genesee Ave.
San Diego, CA 92122
Saturday September 20th -
new Pinto variety
(weather permitting)
South Pasadena
606 Fair Oaks Ave.
South Pasadena, CA 91030

68485922.jpg

After sweating them as indicated above, I throw them on grilled pizza.

Phenominal.

Back