THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wish I could have had some real BBQ when I was there. Congrats on the success.

Semper Fi. I could have used a Q joint at MT Fuji, or Camp Schwab on the rock….but I sure did enjoy eating my way across the West Pac regardless. Im getting ready to do a batch of Korean kimchi soon as the napa cabbage has just shown its face in CT this week. What an incredible part of the world to dine in courtesy of the Corps.

Are you cooking all your 'que on a UDS? That's awesome!

I am! But I'm soooo ready to step up to something a little less labor intensive.
It puts out great product and is surprisingly efficient, but for me to take the business to the next level, i.e. doubling seating capacity and extending hours to lunch and dinner every day, I really need something larger and easier to train someone else on. Unfortunately the commercial smokers such as CookShack and Southern Pride have voltage issues and the high end "backyard" units like Humphrey's, SpiceWine, etc. are very expensive to ship. Fortunately I've found a metal works guy here so if I can find a good set of DIY plans or if one of the U.S. builders wants to take a much needed vacation (hint hint hehe) maybe I can get something built this year.

I was thinking today to make a thread about what happened to the guy in Japan who
opened a BBQ joint..
Are you reading my mind?
Nice job! Send more pics!

I am! But I'm soooo ready to step up to something a little less labor intensive.
It puts out great product and is surprisingly efficient, but for me to take the business to the next level, i.e. doubling seating capacity and extending hours to lunch and dinner every day, I really need something larger and easier to train someone else on. Unfortunately the commercial smokers such as CookShack and Southern Pride have voltage issues and the high end "backyard" units like Humphrey's, SpiceWine, etc. are very expensive to ship. Fortunately I've found a metal works guy here so if I can find a good set of DIY plans or if one of the U.S. builders wants to take a much needed vacation (hint hint hehe) maybe I can get something built this year.

Could you gather up some bricks and mortar and build a brick BBQ pit?

Glad to hear you are doing well Mark. I agree, maybe brick, mortar, and some steel and build you an earthen pit. Or find a welder and maybe build some pits like they have at Snow's BBQ.

food_feature2.jpg

snowsbbq.jpg

Bricks and mortar

I've certainly thought about that, but there are drawbacks. First, you need a good set of plans. You can't just build a box and lay grates on it. I need to be able to have decent control over temps and airflow. More importantly though, I need to consider the heat source. Most pits built like that are fueled by firewood which needs to be tended regularly. I think most of the places that use that type of unit have a dedicated person who operates it. I don't have that luxury. Yet.

Back