THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

hightpt

Found some matches.
I have a question about a Guru fan type temp control. I've had a Baby Stump insulated smoker for about 16 years and rarely have had a problem maintaining a constant temperature in any kind of weather or temperature until this past fall. I'm not a competitor, just a back yard enthusiast so I'm thinking of getting one just for peace of mind.
My question is, does the main unit (the fan?) have to plugged into a power source while it's operating or can it be charged to operate without one?

The main unit is not rechargeable. You would need to plug it into a standalone rechargeable battery pack.

A fireboard can be charged. I had a guru for years before switching to the fireboard. One of the better decisions I have made. BBQ guru has had a lot of problems lately with some of their new units. I would recommend checking out fireboard

As others have mentioned, the actual Bbq Guru branded units have had a lot of issues over the last few years. I have their CyberQ unit; while it worked fine for a while, the user interface on the unit itself was very painful to use. The web app was easy to use but had some limitations around notifications that defeated a big chunk of the reasons I had for using it so when they started having firmware and web app issues, I decided it was time to move on.

I'm using a Thermoworks signals with their billows fan and battery now and I'm extremely happy with it. Highly recommended! I use it on my big kamado and my insulated gravity feed smoker (not at the same time tho) - the only caveat is that small volume smokers really require the optional air damper due to the large volume of air the can moves. The damper is cheap (< $5), but really ought to be included with the billows.

Back