Grilled Asian Ahi Tuna Burgers

Mason Dixon Bowhunta

is one Smokin' Farker
Things have been pretty busy for a while so I haven't had time to enter a throw down recently. But when I saw this month's burger throw down, two things occurred to me. First, I realized that I hadn't done a throw down in a while. And second (and most importantly), I had some fine-looking tuna steaks in the freezer that I hadn't cooked yet! As I was thinking about some creative ways to use the tuna in the burger challenge, I decided that an Asian theme would highlight the tuna perfectly. And that's where the story starts.

Here's the starting point - some great-looking tuna steaks that were just hanging around the freezer.

picture.php

I chopped it in a fine dice as a starting point for the burgers ...

picture.php

... and added panko bread crumbs, green onions, and Asian seasoning to make the patties.

picture.php

While the burgers were chilling in the refrigerator, I made an Asian slaw by mixing red cabbage, shredded carrots, radishes, green onions, and parsley. I tossed that with a dressing made of rice vinegar, honey, sesame oil, chili sauce, minced ginger, and Asian seven-spice seasoning.

picture.php

I also made an Asian aoili by whisking an egg yolk, Dijon mustard, lemon juice, minced ginger, and LOTS of chili sauce and Asian seven-spice powder seasoning (by the time I finished, it had quite a kick!).

And for one final touch before grilling, I also fried some wonton wrappers and tossed them with some more Asian seven-spice powder.

After all the prep, I was ready to start grilling. Here's the almost-finished product after a few minutes on a hot grill.

picture.php

Once the tuna burgers were done, the final step was to construct everything. I put the tuna burgers on grilled Hawaiian sweet rolls, then covered them with a heaping dollop of the aoili and a mound of the slaw.

Here's the inside view of the constructed burger.

picture.php

A handful of chips on the side and my fabulous meal was ready to eat. And I can personally attest that it was as delicious as I had imagined! (And my delicious, I mean off-the-hook, freaking amazing!)

picture.php

Thank you for looking!

Back