Green Chile Cheese Squash

16Adams

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Highly customizable side dish. Grew up on Stewed squash, mainly because it was plentiful, plus it had Bacon. Never knew anyone who tired of bacon.

Fry 4-5 pieces of bacon-- crispy
Remove, and save grease
Boil yellow squash until tender
Smash-Drain well.
Add Bacon grease and chopped green Chile. fry till desired texture and appearance
Stir in squash
Chop and stir in crispy bacon
Salt& Pepper to taste
Shredded cheese optional (oft times just add butter)

Last edited:
This recipe is great on it's own, it's also basically well on your way to squash casserole.leave it a little moist, add in crumbled corn bread, savory or Jiffy Sweet your call. Stir and bake.

I prefer savory, wife prefers sweet. Definitely add the cheese

Squash is one of those things that I had to be forced to eat as a child. It was struggle to get it down...Mom had to resort to the "think of little kids in other parts of the world who have nothing"

Times change. I now love the stuff and a lot of the kids going hungry are right here in the good old USA. Some aspects of change just torque me off.

Had an interesting recall last night. My mother and maternal grandmother as well the Brides maternal grandmother had an interesting thing. When they'd boil vegetables they'd drink a cup of the water from the boil. Didn't really matter what was boiled, turnips, taters, squash etc- they'd drink a cup or the remaining liquid.

My mom 91
My grandma 80 at DOD (medical error)
Wife's grandma 91 at DOD.

Perhaps it's the juice

My folks - all from central/rural Alabama called that cup of water from the boil of greens, peas or beans "pot likker" - a nice, flavorful broth- just right for sopping corn bread. I never saw them drink a cup of it straight -but little kids were not really allowed in the kitchen with the grown folk.

My folks - all from central/rural Alabama called that cup of water from the boil of greens, peas or beans "pot likker" - a nice, flavorful broth- just right for sopping corn bread. I never saw them drink a cup of it straight -but little kids were not really allowed in the kitchen with the grown folk.

That's awesome, thanks. Didn't know it had a name.
I'm still learning.
Here is a link I found for potlikker, it's history and benefits

https://www.wideopeneats.com/potlikker/

Back