THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MeatyOakerSmoker

is Blowin Smoke!
Hello

So I have been a little MIA on the forums lately and I have several new things to report but for the purposes of this post I GOT A LANG 48 PATIO!!! I got it used for a good deal. Super excited so I fired her up today.

I did a pretty good job with my fire management except towards the end of my cook. Two things happened that made me think about making some small modifications.

First, I noticed the expanded metal at the bottom of the firebox is really wide so I can’t keep my coals. I’m thinking of adding some tighter expanded metal. But I’m also wondering if because I got it used I’m missing some coal basket or something. Is that the case?

Second, I noticed towards the end of the cook there were a lot of ashes at the bottom of the firebox which maybe limited the amount of air flow below the fire. Is this common? Do folks lift the grate at all? Could it be because of I’m missing some charcoal basket that would normally prevent this?

Oh... and the cooking results. I chicken wings came out well, beef ribs were good, baby backs got over cooked because they kept failing the bend test so I didn’t take them out on time.

Thanks
Sam

Charcoal baskets can be added but are not necessary. Some people do add another piece of expanded metal going the opposite direction to increase the ability to keep coals. Again. Not necessary. I've run 12 hour cooks in my 36 without needing to clean out ashes and never had a problem with airflow. Same size firebox as your 48.

PM me if you want a more detailed discussion. Also there is a Lang Smoker Owners group on Facebook if you do the FB.

I bought me a ice scooper off Amazon and it worked well getting the ash behind that lip of metal where the firebox shuts. I’d scoop every 3-4 sticks when I had a Lang 36

If you didn’t have that expanded metal and had the door open you wouldn’t have that problem...just saying. It makes no difference what environment you are in. Adequate airflow will allow wood to burn. Whether you have a grate or no grate.

add a layer of expanded 90* to the first......... I like 4" under the fire grate if possible, if not get an ash scraper and a metal bucket and pull out ash as needed during a cook.

Congratulations on your Lang! I owned a 48 trailer model and I can tell you that it cooks great. Easy to manage the temps, just make your splits small. You can also purchase an aftermarket charcoal basket if you don’t want to bother with wood.....keep the hinges on the main chamber lubricated with vegetable oil... and you may want to line the firebox bottom with fire brick....keep it out of the rain.
Have fun:clap2:

Charcoal baskets can be added but are not necessary. Some people do add another piece of expanded metal going the opposite direction to increase the ability to keep coals.

add a layer of expanded 90* to the first.........

This is pretty much what I was talking about when I said I was thinking of adding tighter expanded metal. It was probably the key to my fire management with my OK Joe. Totally different beast of course.

Do you have this raised grate with expanded metal, if not your missing a piece.

Yep I have this. It’s the wide expanded metal piece. As I’m looking a photos it looks like maybe mine is turned 90 degrees in the wrong direction so I can’t scoop the ashes out. I’ll fix that. I’m not sure if it’s as high as some of the pictures I’ve seen as well but I will have to have a look.

Yep I have this. It’s the wide expanded metal piece. As I’m looking a photos it looks like maybe mine is turned 90 degrees in the wrong direction so I can’t scoop the ashes out. I’ll fix that. I’m not sure if it’s as high as some of the pictures I’ve seen as well but I will have to have a look.

I have to tip mine up on edge to get the ashed out. Between the lip on the front of the firebox and the few inches below...it's not possible. But as I said...I've done 12 hour cooks and not had an airflow issue.

If you didn’t have that expanded metal and had the door open you wouldn’t have that problem...just saying. It makes no difference what environment you are in. Adequate airflow will allow wood to burn. Whether you have a grate or no grate.

I had the pinwheels opened the entire time and when I started seeing the fire dying out I did open the firebox door. I learned the trick on my OK Joe since they suck you pretty much have to keep the door open. Fire still went out but it was probably too late by then. Anyway the Lang videos show the firebox door closed during the cooks but I can try it.

If I get distracted and let the fire die down too far, I'll take a beer can width split and split it into 3or 4 small pieces. Give it 10-20 minutes and split another beer can width piece into 2 or 3 pieces. Give it 10-20 minutes and split one in half. If you lose it start small and build back up. Another thing to check is the stack, the vent may be open but the stack could be plugged with soot, bird nest, old bee hive etc.

If I get distracted and let the fire die down too far, I'll take a beer can width split and split it into 3or 4 small pieces. Give it 10-20 minutes and split another beer can width piece into 2 or 3 pieces. Give it 10-20 minutes and split one in half. If you lose it start small and build back up. Another thing to check is the stack, the vent may be open but the stack could be plugged with soot, bird nest, old bee hive etc.

Nice great tip. I have one of those kindling crackers might be a good way to try it in the future.

Out of curiosity how the heck do you get down the chimney to clean it out?

Nice great tip. I have one of those kindling crackers might be a good way to try it in the future.

Out of curiosity how the heck do you get down the chimney to clean it out?

I've heard you have to burn it out. Use a weed burner or start a chimney full of charcoal under the stack and let er rip.

I’ve got to agree with the crew of posters above. The Lang is one of the best , most proven designs out there. If you truly have stock gear, it should run as advertised.

A key breakthrough watching Ben Lang’s videos was knowing you have to get the cooker screaming hot and then “drop in” to your cook zone. I used to be way too mousy when I first got my Lang by underfuelling the rig at startup . After watching his video , I now start with 6-8 sticks to get that metal plenty hot. It then becomes so much easier to maintain a clean heat fire with just a medium stick every 45min. I’ve used these Lang techniques on my Shirley and have never looked back

I’ve since evolved into a third of a bag of kbb briquettes and two sticks of wood. A scientist friend of mine said that it makes sense during start up to have briquettes for radiant heat and sticks for convective heat during start up. After that, it’s cruise control amigo

Back