1 1/2 cups mayonnaise
1/4 cup Creole mustard
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
1 lemon, juiced
Pinch sugar
1/2 teaspoon celery seed
Several dashes hot sauce
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

My better half typically doubles the spicy mustard and halves the mayo to start. We've made it probably 4-5 times in the last couple of months. It's worth your time.

Read more at: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/spicy-slaw-recipe.html?oc=linkback

Which ever recipe you choose, cut back on the sugar and add a can of crushed pineapple! It puts any slaw over the top!

Try this.

Curtido
Makes about 4 cups
1/2 head cabbage, shredded
1 large carrot, grated
1/2 onion, thinly sliced
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup water
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon dried oregano (preferably Mexican)
1/2 to 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
Combine the cabbage, carrot, and onion in a large bowl. Combine the remaining ingredients in a separate bowl and then pour over the cabbage mixture and stir.
Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours and preferably at least a day before serving.

Guerry's Slaw

One head chopped cabbage - no other vegies!
1/2 cup vinegar
6 tbs sugar
6 tbs EVOO
2 1/2 tsp dry mustard
1 tsp celery seed
1 tsp dried celery
1 tbs hot sauce to taste

Combine vinegar, oil and other ingredients in a sealed jar and give it a vigorous shake. Pour over chopped cabbage and toss. Let sit in fridge for two hours or longer (Overnight if you can resist). Toss again before serving.

This will juice up quite a bit so you can use a slotted spoon to serve if you wish.

==========================================================================

^^^^^ DeGuerre's slaw is my go to. I'm not a big fan of the creamy slaws though.

question for you all, not really trying to hijack thread from OP, more of just trying to understand.

what is it that you folks don't like about creamy slaw type recipe's or slaw in general?

cole slaw

this works for me every time with many kudos

get a bag of cole slaw greens at the grocer

Cole Slaw
• 1/4 cup vinegar
• ¼ cup mayonnaise
• ¼ cup finely diced onion
• 2 tablespoons sugar
• 1 teaspoon celery seed
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 teaspoon pepper
• 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
• 1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper

Combine vinegar, onion, sugar, and seasonings. Mix in green pepper. Stir into the chopped cabbage

I use this - and add 1/4 cup of sour cream- give it a little tang and makes it a bit creamier.

My favorite is the Brookville Hotel slaw. Sugar, vinegar, cream, salt, cabbage. Recipe is easy to find, just google it. Best if it sits overnight.

Agree with some of the comments on adding pineapple. When I was living in El Paso almost every did that. Here's a link to a very easy slaw that's definitely different than what you'd usually find. I think it's awesome as a side for Brisket in particular. It's good with pork as well though I wouldn't put it on a PP sandwich as I do with more vinegar based slaws.

http://www.food.com/recipe/lorris-pineapple-coleslaw-90105

i am really digging this recipe for some reason?

Guerry's Slaw

One head chopped cabbage - no other vegies!
1/2 cup vinegar
6 tbs sugar
6 tbs EVOO
2 1/2 tsp dry mustard
1 tsp celery seed
1 tsp dried celery
1 tbs hot sauce to taste

Combine vinegar, oil and other ingredients in a sealed jar and give it a vigorous shake. Pour over chopped cabbage and toss. Let sit in fridge for two hours or longer (Overnight if you can resist). Toss again before serving.

This will juice up quite a bit so you can use a slotted spoon to serve if you wish.

i smoked up some cabbage last night and gonna give this recipe a try today.

Don't remember where I got this recipe but it's good Tidewater Cole Slaw ; 1 1/2 cups mayo, 1/2 cup white vinegar, 1/3 cup sugar, 1 Tbsp celery seed, salt/pepper to taste, 1 head green cabbage, finely shredded, 2 carrots, finely grated, Mix and chill, we often use it to top a PP sandwich.

Recipe I been using for over 20 years. Add 1/2 cup chopped sweet onion.

I've been making mine for over 35 years and receive many requests for the recipe. All measurements are approximate as I don't measure but are pretty close. I also quit chopping cabbage and buy packaged slaw at grocery.

For 1 lb package of cabbage mix add:
1 large white onion chopped
2 bell peppers chopped
2 tomatoes chopped
1-2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1-2 teaspoons salt to taste
1-2 teaspoons black pepper to taste
1 heaping teaspoon sugar
1 cup mayonnaise

I make this at four hours prior to eating and drain accumulated liquid prior to serving. Cabbage and tomatoes will give up a lot of water due to salt and sugar.

Advertising I guess, but I use this sweet German salad dressing tossed with chopped cabbage/slaw mix from the store. Then toss in crushed Ramen noodles (Dry) without the season packets for crunch. Most who hate slaw, like me, like this!

http://foxspringslodgedressing.com

Full disclosure, my parents now run this company. The company that offered it previously decided not to dedicate the time to marketing. We love it so much my parents bought the name and rights and are now selling it.

Well, since you've had no responses thus far :)-P) -

Ingredients
1 head green cabbage, shredded
2 carrots, grated
1 red onion, thinly sliced
2 green onions, chopped
1 red chile, sliced
1 1/2 cups mayonnaise
1/4 cup Creole mustard
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
1 lemon, juiced
Pinch sugar
1/2 teaspoon celery seed
Several dashes hot sauce
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

My better half typically doubles the spicy mustard and halves the mayo to start. We've made it probably 4-5 times in the last couple of months. It's worth your time.

Read more at: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/spicy-slaw-recipe.html?oc=linkback

Strong second for this! Definitely worth your time.

Looking for a good one as well. The one the Boss makes, while it is tasty...gets a bit to soggy for me if it sits for more than a few minutes...she has tried reducing the wet ingredients....than it is to dry...

For those who have trouble with the slaw getting soggy... After shredding the cabbage, let it sit for an hour or two, then get rid of the excess liquid by draining or squeezing the cabbage.

Back