Cole Slaw discussion!

blazinfire

Babbling Farker
Alright folks Its time for us to have a Cole Slaw Discussion. Since I know coleslaw is a common BBQ related item. I'm on my 2nd batch of cole slaw.. I've followed the recipe the recipe Shotgun Red Posted on KFC cole slaw. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vf2PQBcVxTY

The things I changed was just add some diced green onion stalks (the green).

3-4 cups cabbage
1 carrot
Green Onion greens
1/2 cup mayo (this is dukes mayo)
5tbs sugar
3tbs apple cider vinegar
1/2tsp salt
1/2tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp pepper

Here's my first batch. I shredded the cabbage with a cheese grater/shredder.. It turned out fantastic. The missus does not like pulled pork very much and we aren't big cole slaw fans.. We still have left over pulled pork but no cole slaw. We devoured this cole slaw I made a B line to the store for another head of cabbage today hahaha!

So here's the discussion part.. What version of coleslaw do you like better? Is there any changes You guys would make to this recipe? How about lemon zest and a squirt of lemon juice? add a little red cabbage? Lets just talk it out here!

1ZleSjWl.jpg

So today.. I made a 2nd batch.. I wanted to try a chunkier coleslaw so I just chopped up the cabbage instead and came up with this!

lqoPsq0l.jpg

I prefer the chunkier version, but I have to go with the more finely grated for my wife. Both of yours look great.

Your ratio of vinegar / sugar is close to what i use.

Keep in mind there are so many varieties of coleslaw out there; mayo based, vinegar based, mustard based, buttermilk based, and others.

I've seen dill relish, pickle juice, and celery seed added in some, but I'm sure there are many things one can add to their own personal liking.

I like the looks of your 2nd batch better.

I got in a creative mood with slaw for a group of 8 of my girlfriends relatives that came down from Philly last year. Had ribs, dogs, burgers, tots, and slaw.

One guy said he hated slaw. His wife convinced him to try mine. He ate 3 servings. Ha! Here's a rough recipe for my souped up version that I made (MSU):

Cabbage, carrots, celery, onions, green bell peppers all thinly sliced and rough chopped. (Don't use the food processor chop blade. Too fine.)
Equal parts creamy poppy seed salad dressing and Miracle Whip or equivalent. Couple splashes of Apple cider vinegar. (optional)
One pouch ranch powder dip mix if it is a bigger 10 serving size batch or so, less if smaller. (you will want leftovers!)

Mix it all together adding the dressing and Whip as you go until it looks right.

The sweetness of the poppy seed dressing and Miracle Whip is what makes it. The celery, onions, and bell pepper add a nice surprise that no one is expecting.

I like the looks of your 2nd batch better.

I got in a creative mood with slaw for a group of 8 of my girlfriends relatives that came down from Philly last year. Had ribs, dogs, burgers, tots, and slaw.

Dang how many girlfriends ya got there buddy?! I wouldn't group more than one together!!! HAHAHAHA.. just kidding. back to the topic.

I thought my recipe was a great base. I wanted to figure out the texture I like the best. Personally I like the texture of the 2nd attempt better. So I'm thinking about adding very very diced up green pepper (not much) and some lemon juice to it. Maybe cut some vinegar and try lemon juice. Each time I make slaw (probably more often now) I'm gonna change one thing to it and see what I come up with.

I know when we went to a BBQ place in HC at the beach they had a RED slaw.. I wouldn't mind trying to figure out what kinda slaw that was.. it was pretty good

Wow, 8 girlfriends and can still afford to BBQ.... oh, I get it you're filling them up on coleslaw. So where was I. Oh yeah, I prefer the one with the pineapple. I can't tell if that is the first pic or the second one.

We really like the Cock of the Walk recipe that is posted here. I use low-sodium seasoning salt instead of the Cajun seasoning, and it NEEDS the 24 hour rest. I almost can't stand it when I make it, and love it on day 2.

If you're gonna put that much sugar in your slaw why waste the Duke's?:tsk:

Get some cheap store brand.

Hey i agree here. First off Dukes is all I had.. plus Its a recipe that will be tweaked.. But I might also add.. I chopped a bit extra cabbage so kinda worked its self out.. I'm pretty set on the recipe. But First thing I noticed was it was a good bit of sugar. so Thats the first to be altered to "test" different things

My go to is....

Coleslaw mix (handmade, or bought, any style)
1 cup Mayo
1-2 tbs Vinegar (usually white)
1-2 tbs Sugar
1 tsp?? Celery seed (game changer)
1-2 tsp Dijon or stone ground mustard
1 tbsp Lemon juice

Not good on measurements, I never actually measure it out, but this is probably ballpark.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Slaw is possibly my favorite side with bbq, and fried food. I am still working on the best creamy cole slaw that is tangy. I like vinegar Cole slaw a lot. The best one, I had a long time ago, and I haven't been able to redo it exactly. I had a vinegar slaw and think it had some peppers mixed in? Anyway...

For yours, I would have to squeeze in a small amount of Dijon or spicy mustard. Maybe use some mustard powder? I would have to try it with a little bit of bell pepper to see. I have been using mayo and sour cream the last several times I made slaw.

Slaw is possibly my favorite side with bbq, and fried food. I am still working on the best creamy cole slaw that is tangy. I like vinegar Cole slaw a lot. The best one, I had a long time ago, and I haven't been able to redo it exactly. I had a vinegar slaw and think it had some peppers mixed in? Anyway...

For yours, I would have to squeeze in a small amount of Dijon or spicy mustard. Maybe use some mustard powder? I would have to try it with a little bit of bell pepper to see. I have been using mayo and sour cream the last several times I made slaw.

Bell pepper probably will be the next go too with a little less sugar. Maybe something to compliment the cut of sugar. I try not to use any thing mustard wise as the missus wouldn't like it. I also wouldn't mind a dash or two of hot sauce but that would also be a "FOR ME" kinda thing.

Bell pepper probably will be the next go too with a little less sugar. Maybe something to compliment the cut of sugar. I try not to use any thing mustard wise as the missus wouldn't like it. I also wouldn't mind a dash or two of hot sauce but that would also be a "FOR ME" kinda thing.

Just to clarify, it isn't a lot of mustard. If you put half a tablespoon of it in it would give just a little difference without making it mustard. She powder is probably a bad idea.

Back