Cole Slaw discussion!

My favorite is half Mayo/half sour cream or plain yogurt, and a couple tablespoons prepared horseradish. Salt and pepper to taste. It’s nice and zippy and keeps the wimps from eating it all. :grin:

Depends on what I am having with it. With fried fish I like a creamy, mayo based slaw with some sweetness, ala KFC.
With BBQ, especially on a pulled pork sandwich, I like a tangy mustard and vinegar based slaw with onion and dill pickle included.

Add in some cilantro, a chipotle in adobo sauce, and a Tblsp of adobo and it will take the slaw to another level. Just our preferences.

I prefer chunkier slaw. My go to recipe for a few years now. Simple and never any leftovers.

1 cup Dukes mayo.
1/2 cup sour cream.
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp cider vinegar
1 tsp celery seeds, kosher salt, fresh ground black pepper, sugar.

1 cabbage about 2lbs coarsely chopped.
1 cup coarsely shredded carrots.

Mix ingredients and pour over cabbage/carrots. Mix well and refrigerate until chilled.

This has been my go to for awhile, from Meatheads site:
Ingredients
Dressing
▢ ¼ cup sour cream
▢ ¼ cup mayonnaise
▢ 3 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
▢ 1 tablespoon sugar
▢ 1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar
▢ ¼ teaspoon mustard powder
▢ ¼ teaspoon white pepper
▢ ½ teaspoon celery seed (not celery salt)
▢ ½ teaspoon Morton Coarse Kosher Salt
Slaw
▢ 1 pound green cabbage (about half a medium cabbage)
▢ ½ bell pepper, green, red, yellow, or orange, your choice
▢ 1 large carrot
▢ ½ small onion

Sanford almost got it right. The rest of you, nope!

Here's the only correct way to make slaw (according to my wife)!

4 cups thinly sliced cabbage or one 10 oz. bag angel-hair cabbage
1/2 cup mayo
1 tbs white vinegar
1 tbs sugar
1/4 tsp celery seed
1/4 tsp salt
pepper to taste

Dang looks like I've got some serious cole slaw making to do.. IT looks like yet another recipe you can just add whatever and your gonna be in for a good time! This has just started a long journey for me a I've kinda started to like the idea of cole slaw. wasn't a fan of it before

Blue cheese and bacon slaw is a great side for those who appreciate that flavor profile! Give that a try!

Being from North Georgia, slaw is basically used as a topping for Burgers and Hot Dogs and sometimes as a side on summer nights with home grown tomatoes. The recipe is basically grated green cabbage and varying ratios of mayo, salt and pepper. Within those contexts that particular recipe is perfect. But, for smoked meats I like to use something with a little more of a flavor profile. So, I did some sleuthing around for Franklin's recipe and added a few extra things myself. Here's the basic recipe I've used for creamy based coleslaw with a few tweaks below.

About 2 cups shredded cabbage mix

1 T kosher salt

1/4 c sour cream

2 T mayo

2 T cider vinegar

2 T rice vinegar

2 1/4 t coarse black pepper

1 1/2 t dry mustard powder

I'll add a few drops of fish sauce, about 1/2 tsp of celery seed, 1/2 tsp of horseradish and a tsp of raw sugar.

For my vinegar slaw I'll use acv, canola oil, garlic powder, onion powder, horseradish, kosher salt, black pepper, red pepper flakes, honey, ground mustard, fish sauce or worcestershire sauce, paprika, raw sugar, and maybe a little tumeric.

I love both kinds but my wife loves the vinegar based so I usually end up making both.

All of the recipes posted look good to me....except for mustard levels. I dip a butter knife straight down into a good mustard 1 1/2",...and whatever sticks to the blade when pulled straight up is what goes into my "dressing" which is mixed up separate from the coleslaw dry stuff. Mixed to taste then mixed into the mess. Also no vinegar...I use dill pickle juice. Sometimes Bread n Butter Pickle juice.

Head of cabbage diced or sliced thin, not necessarily fine (however you like it).
About 1/2 - 3/4 cup of Dukes mayo... depending on size of cabbage head... never measured it.
About 1/4 - 1/2 cup of dill pickle juice... never measured it... (use small bottles of pickle juice).
Onion powder and garlic salt to taste... never measured it.
Tony Chachere's creole seasoning to taste.
Lots of cracked black pepper... lots of it.
Let sit in the fridge overnight (but I never do for the first half - only for the second half, and it's always better on the second round).

Never found anything better... not a fan of sweet cole slaw.

Chunkier cabbage and carrots (like your 2nd pic). Can’t go wrong with mayo and Cavendar’s as your base. I like to throw in some minced preserved lemon — gives it a really bright, fresh flavor. A splash of freshly squeezed lemon juice is also a nice addition.

Back