Good pepper mill?

I use a Turkish coffee mill to grind pepper and love it. My mill is 25 years old and never any issues. Brass internals push the price to $100 but I consider it cheap since I do not think I will ever break it.
This. My Turkish coffee mill is more like 35 years old, and never a problem.

I've used Unicorns for years, now have them filled with different varieties of peppercorns. But for those occasions when you want a finer-ground pepper, the Cole and Mason Derwent unit is excellent. I've never been able to adjust a Unicorn to do a satisfactory fine grind.

I use a Turkish coffee mill to grind pepper and love it. My mill is 25 years old and never any issues. Brass internals push the price to $100 but I consider it cheap since I do not think I will ever break it.

I use the same mill for our pepper grinding. I have had that thing like 12 years and it works great.

I bought mine after destroying several cheaper models that I destroyed over the years. Yes it was pricey but so far fail proof.

From the last testing by America's Test Kitchen in 2013.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED - WINNER
Cole & Mason Derwent Gourmet Precision Pepper Mill
EASE OF USE
★★★
GRIND QUALITY
★★★
FINE-GRIND SPEED
★★

You could go with one of the many suggestions here...or you could go with the pick chosen by the people who use one in their profession every single day.

Or, you could go with the grinder from the guy that makes drum sticks. :laugh: :doh:

Another vote here for the Unicorn Magnum. I've had mine around 4 years, and it is still awesome. It can really crank out the pepper. Only drawback is that the adjustment screw works itself loose and the grind gets bigger, but every few days or so I just give it a little half twist and we're all good again.

I use a Kuhn Rikon my wife and i found at Marshalls for $20 8 years ago. The burr is ceramic and sits brindin surface up. Easy to adjust with a turn of the knob. Awesome mill. [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Kuhn-Rikon-Vase-Grinder-Black/dp/B005Y82MR2"]Amazon.com: Kuhn Rikon Vase Grinder, Black: Spice Mills: Kitchen & Dining@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31Kv7vjFmnL.@@AMEPARAM@@31Kv7vjFmnL[/ame]

Hario

I'll second the Hario ....
Ceramic burrs are the bomb !
Grinds anything from peppercorns to spices to coffee , infinitely adjustable....

-bk

I use a Hario ceramic coffee mill skerton. Amazon has them for $30-35, it works very well easy to adjust the grind size.

I am another Unicorn user, never been disappointed with them

Oh, for grinding black pepper for rubs and such, I use a cheap electric burr grinder for coffee, it was under $60 and it grinds up medium coarse black pepper in a jiffy.

Back