Getting a new brisket slicing knife.

Shadowdog500

is One Chatty Farker
I currently have the inexpensive 12” Dexter Russel knife that Arron Franklin uses.

It has become a glorified Ginsu knife in my house and gets used for other stuff.

Anyone here use a Victorinox slicer knife With a granton edge blade?

I’m looking at either the 12” or the 14” one. I may splurge and get the rosewood handle with a three rivet tang. The plastic handle version has a partial tang but is probably fine.

What knife do your prefer to slice briskets?

Thanks.

Too Fancy and $ for me. I use a $14 electric knife - comes in Handy with Hard bark on edges from not wrapping……

I trim brisket with a Rapala fillet knife……..

Last edited:
I have a Victorinox 12” with a scalloped blade. I also have a 12” non-scalloped knife of theirs and much prefer the scalloped blade. It is much easier for bark that is a little crispy.

When I can’t use the electric knife I got this Fancy $5 Watermelon knife from Walmart when watermelons 1st Hit every year.

ee81939265b2c2be5a47d90c36a95560.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I currently have the inexpensive 12” Dexter Russel knife ...
Me, too, but mine is IIRC 14". What problem are you trying to solve? Mine does a good job for me as does my Dexter bread knife, chef's knife, and boning knife. We have a bunch of the fancy branded knives, too, but the Dexters are my go-tos for any serious work.

Spending more money will IMHO not get you a knife that works any better than what you have. (I assume you are keeping it properly sharpened.)

Too Fancy and $ for me. I use a $14 electric knife - comes in Handy with Hard bark on edges from not wrapping ...
Cutting hot brisket, electric knives are great! that might be where spending a few bucks would be worthwhile.

Last edited:
I've tried chef knives, slicers, you name it; I always go back to the serrated bread knife. We don't have Dexter-Russel here but I got a 12" Sanelli one for real cheap at a local store and never missed a slice

Me, too, but mine is IIRC 14". What problem are you trying to solve? Mine does a good job for me as does my Dexter bread knife, chef's knife, and boning knife. We have a bunch of the fancy branded knives, too, but the Dexters are my go-tos for any serious work.

Spending more money will IMHO not get you a knife that works any better than what you have. (I assume you are keeping it properly sharpened.)

Cutting hot brisket, electric knives are great! that might be where spending a few bucks would be worthwhile.

I’m looking for a dedicated brisket slicing knife and am exploring options.

We only eat a portion of the brisket for the first meal so most of the time I’m cutting slices off of a refrigerated brisket that can be tough even with a scalloped knife. Several of the reviews for the Victorinox say is slices refrigerated brisket easily.

I also know that my Victorinox boning knife holds an edge better than my Dexter Russel, so I assume the same would be true for a slicing knife.

Then there’s the fact that I’ve had Victorinox knife in my pocket for decades, which may make me partial.

I mostly wanted to see what others had to say to make sure that there are no major negatives before I pull the trigger.

2-B86-CC45-0974-46-F2-929-A-96710-AE2-B9-B7.jpg

Too Fancy and $ for me. I use a $14 electric knife - comes in Handy with Hard bark on edges from not wrapping……

I trim brisket with a Rapala fillet knife……..

If you have to trim a lot of briskets at once, electric is your friend. I've burned one up before at a big party. Just one at a time then even a cheap brisket knife will work. As long as it holds an edge.

Rapala filet knife works well trimming briskets. They are really sharp.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

I purchased the 12 inch Victorinox with granton edge this past year and love it. It is used for brisket and bacon mostly, but used it to slice up a roast for jerky recently and couldn't be happier.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

I've had this for about 5 years now and love it. Holding up the edge real well and haven't sharpened it yet. Cut many ribs, roasts and briskets with it. 14" granton edge by ICEL made in Portugal.

https://www.amazon.com/14-inch-Certified-sharpening-instruction-included/dp/B01BU7C4IC/ref=sr_1_2?crid=23MTYIOGPYGEG&keywords=ice+granton+edge&qid=1639942593&s=home-garden&sprefix=icel+graton+ege%2Cgarden%2C121&sr=1-2

I bought mine per SSV3 recommendation at/near same time. It’s cut a lot of meat and well cared for. Still working same as day it arrived.

I use the Victorinox 12" serrated and granton and both work great. It usually depends on the bark and doneness as to which will do a better job.

If you want to go a fancier route I also have a K-Sabatier 12" Ham knife with grantons which I use on special occasions (i.e. Holiday Carvings) and does great on all types of roasts.

Back