Brisket Slicing Knife

benniesdad

Full Fledged Farker
Need some help picking a brisket slicing knife for Father's Day. Currently I have it narrowed down to either the Wusthof Gourmet 14” Hollow Edge Brisket Slicing Knife 4519-1/36-100 or the Victorinox 12 Inch Fibrox Pro Slicing Knife with Granton Blade. I am leaning towards the Victorinox.

Would appreciate any experience that any of you have with either one, the Wusthof in particular. I have several Wusthof Classic knives but have no experience with their Gourmet line.

I started with the Victorinox and then bought the Wusthof a few years ago. I prefer the Wusthof if I had to pick one, but either are good knifes.

Completely happy with my Victorinox 12" Granton, but I used an electric for competitions.

I got the Mercer that has been mentioned around the site a few times. Haven't sliced a brisket with it yet but I did use it for slicing eye of round for jerky and my buckboard bacon. It did a very nice job with both.

The Wusthof is expensive, but it is the best slicer I has used. I don’t regret buying it!

Most all of those European brands are going to be "generally" the same. The key is keeping them sharp. Keep those knives sharp & slice on a proper cutting board to protect the edge. Strop, strop, strop...keep that sharp edge straight!

I have the 12” Victoronix and love it, it’s almost too long for my butcher block though. The 14” would definitely have to be stored separately.

I’ll be the contrarian on this one. Don’t spend big money on a knife if you don’t have a way to keep it razor sharp.

Invest in a chef choice trizor XV sharpener with a 15 degree angle for your slicers. Pair it with one or more 14” granton edge slicers of any reasonable commercial type brand like a $30-35 Mercer or Icel. It will be and stay as sharp or sharper than any $130 consumer marketed knife. For a slicer like this you don’t need a forged heel or any fancy handles, you just need long and sharp so spend your money on the sharp part first.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0018RSEMU/ref=psdcmw_289867_t1_B004UGUNFM

As a “free” bonus, it will make all the rest of your knives razor sharp as well.

Need some help picking a brisket slicing knife for Father's Day. Currently I have it narrowed down to either the Wusthof Gourmet 14” Hollow Edge Brisket Slicing Knife 4519-1/36-100 or the Victorinox 12 Inch Fibrox Pro Slicing Knife with Granton Blade. I am leaning towards the Victorinox.

Would appreciate any experience that any of you have with either one, the Wusthof in particular. I have several Wusthof Classic knives but have no experience with their Gourmet line.

Been very happy with my wusthof. I just got done honing it for a comp tomorrow.

Once you have a sharp slicer and you have the right tools to keep it sharp, don't forget to get a sheath or case for it. Especially if you spend high $$$ for it. Protecting the edge is key.

I have both and the extra length is what makes the Wustof a better knife. Also the curved blade is a more natural motion.

Back