Germany and Barvaria

Still sorting pictures from multiple cameras..

Kehlsteinhaus - Eagles Nest (WWII)

enhance

Eagles Nest under allied occupation
enhance

Pictorial Map
enhance

You can see just how high it is, the Antenna and building are almost center.
enhance

View from Platz - Tunnel to elevator, Eagles Nest on top
enhance

enhance

Marble brick tunnel
enhance

Solid brass elevator
enhance

Eagles Nest
enhance

enhance

Highest point above the building

enhance

View over side, can barely see village on left
enhance

Looking down with a 300mm zoom lens at the village below
enhance

Last edited:
Looks like a wonderful adventure!

So glad you hiked the Partnach Klamm! We really enjoyed the area and views around Garmisch.

Keep the Pr0n flowing... and welocme home!

Thanks for sharing. I've been to Germany many times and always love it, especially the food! I've never been to this area though, so it is great to see.

Arrived in Schönau, Königsee in Berchtesgaden

Pictures of the Bavarian Village

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

Our Bavarian Lodge (at the base of the mountain where the Eagles Nest sits)

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

Breakfast Every Morning - Bread, Rolls, Jams, Honey, Coffee, Tea, Orange Juice, Meats, Cheeses, Fresh Fruits, Yogurt, Cereal, Milk and Eggs every morning.

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

The other guest at the lodge

enhance

Views from our table on the balcony

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

Went to the 600 year old Königsee Salt Mine which were underground, pictures did not come out well due to poor lighting and high humidity..... Sorry.

Spent 4 days here, then we went across the border to Austria for the wedding and came back to spend another day before visiting the castles on the way back..

Last edited:
Very Cool MM !

Thanks for sharing. Looks like a well planned and awesome vacation!

The Wedding

Sorry but to keep things semi private here, only a brief picture of the wedding at Mondsee Lake (Moon Lake) in Upper Austria.

enhance

enhance

enhance

Kaese Spaetzle - Spaetzle with Gruyère and Caramelized Onions
enhance

Schwein schnitzel - Pork Schnitzel
enhance

Neuschwanstein Castle Built in 1869 and Hohenschwangau Castle Built in 1837

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

Pictures inside castle is forbidden, but I had finger spasms...

Castle Kitchen - Roasting pans
enhance

Castle Kitchen - rotisserie unit on right
enhance

Castle Kitchen Table - rotisserie unit on right
enhance

Chain driven rotisserie unit sorry for blurry picture
enhance

Castle Kitchen - baking molds
enhance

Castle Kitchen - meat molds
enhance

Castle Kitchen - multiple level oven
enhance

Scale Model of Castle
enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

Hohenschwangau Castle - Closed when we arrived

enhance

enhance

enhance

Schwansee (Swan Lake) as seen from Castle
enhance

enhance

Last edited:
The pictures are beautiful. I'm happy you enjoyed the trip. Look wonderful.
I was in Germany only once and just Berlin. We will definitely go again.

After Leaving Berchtesgaden, we traveled North to visit Neuschwanstein Castle and Hohenschwangau Castle and continued our journey to our final location in Krickenbach, Germany (over 700 Km). What a long trip and a long, long day.

We had rented a house for a week in the little village of Krickenbach next to my son's cottage.

enhance

Small quaint village, our house sat on a the top of the mountain overlooking the village below.
enhance

enhance

Down the steps from our circle takes us to the village right in front of the local bakery.

Bavarian Pretzels fresh 3 times a day.
enhance

An amazing selection of Breads and Rolls every morning.
enhance

enhance

and a large selection of sweets.
enhance

enhance

So I took a few days to unwind and my son wanted ribs..... Off to the butcher shop/market

Just across the street from the bakery was the Butcher Shop/Local Market where I bought Brotwurst and Schwenkbraten
enhance

But I went to the commissary at U.S. Army Garrison (USAG) Kaiserslautern to get American cuts of ribs, chicken, and other groceries.
I even bought a dozen Krispy Kreme doughnuts while I was shopping on base, my kryptonite... LOL.
enhance

2 racks of spare ribs and 4 racks of baby back ribs after 6 hours in the smoker.

A big thanks to Randy from Atlanta BBQ Store that shipped my sauces and Mike from Oakridge BBQ who shipped the rubs that Randy didn't carry.
They shipped them directly here for me, before I left the states, and they were here waiting for me!
such great customer service from The Brethren Owned Businesses. THANK YOU!!!!!
enhance

Brotwurst (yes they spell it that way) Sausages on the gasser, some wrapped in bacon. Also a pan of Macaroni and Cheese with Bacon
enhance

Hamburgers and Schwenkbraten - Peppered Pork Steaks (pork loin slices marinated in mildly hot paprika) on the gas grill (traditionally cooked by swinging over a wood fire).
enhance

Family and Friends seated at the table.
enhance

Last edited:
Krickenbach... I thought that was near Queidersbach! Oh... Hahnenfest, I missed you this year by a WEEK!!! (Still have a couple of 1L mugs from the Fest.) Discovered the most incredible bicycle-chain-driven chicken cooking rotisserie setup I've ever seen at that Fest in about '03... amazing!

I hope your son and his family joined the fun a town over for the event. We miss all of the incredible Fests throughout the Summer and Fall...

I so love German food. :love:
I liked German food here in the states, but when I had the real German Food in Germany, it is going to be hard to accept what we call German food here in NJ...

I loved the food in Germany, it is nothing like what we accept here in the States as German food. There is as much difference between Brats sold in Germany and what they sell to us here; as there is a difference between night and day!

I planned on covering the differences in some of the food in my next and final post in this thread.

Krickenbach... I thought that was near Queidersbach! Oh... Hahnenfest, I missed you this year by a WEEK!!! (Still have a couple of 1L mugs from the Fest.) Discovered the most incredible bicycle-chain-driven chicken cooking rotisserie setup I've ever seen at that Fest in about '03... amazing!

I hope your son and his family joined the fun a town over for the event. We miss all of the incredible Fests throughout the Summer and Fall...

I think they went to the Festival in Wiesbaden after I left and they came home with a couple dozen steins and some tall pilsner glasses they won at the festival.

I have never been so passionate about returning to a vacation location ever in my life as I am about this trip. I would return tomorrow if I could, and I wish I could afford to move there if employment for my line of work was available.

I liked German food here in the states, but when I had the real German Food in Germany, it is going to be hard to accept what we call German food here in NJ...

I loved the food in Germany, it is nothing like what we accept here in the States as German food. There is as much difference between Brats sold in Germany and what they sell to us here; as there is a difference between night and day!

I planned on covering the differences in some of the food in my next and final post in this thread.

I absolutely agree. I remember my first experience with sauerkraut in Germany. It was not sour, but sweet. I explained to my host that I did not like sauerkraut in the US because it is full of vinegar. My host explained to me that you're supposed to rinse it out before you use it. A lot of things we have are very similar but we miss a step, like not rinsing out the sauerkraut before we use it.

Back