Gas or Pellet...that is the question??? HELP

SweetHeatBBQnSC

is One Chatty Farker
Name or Nickame
Joedy
So for the last couple of months I have been tossing around this question in my head, and I don't think I have gained much traction on way or the other. On weekdays I don't have time to fire up the Kettle or Bertha (WSM). Some days I would love a quick grilled supper. My gasser has been dead for the last year or so, but I hesitated to replace it with all I had seen and heard with the pellet grills becoming so popular. So here I am still no clue looking for advice and direction. During the week the ability to warm the cooker up in 10 minutes and have it ready to start cooking would be great! I would mainly use it for like burgers, wings, bbq chicken or pork chops. However, if I got a pellet grill, it would be interesting to see how much easier some smokes could be. I have looked at the Weber Spirits and the cheaper gas grills. I have looked at multiple brands of smokers and would love them. I would love to buy both, but that is not an option because my wife would...well it wouldn't be pretty haha. Two other variables that play into this scenario is that I am not super mechanically inclined. So not knowing how much fixing I would need to do to pellet cookers concern me. Also, my cooking shed doesn't have electricity. I could run a drop cord because it's only like 15 yards from my front door and I also have a generator in my shed I could use. All this to take into consideration when making my final decision.Thanks for all the advice in advance.

You didn’t mention budget, but that being said, I would forget a gasser and start looking at pellet grills.

If budget allows, wait for the Weber smoke fire to come out and read the feedback on it and then make your decision.

You didn’t mention budget, but that being said, I would forget a gasser and start looking at pellet grills.

If budget allows, wait for the Weber smoke fire to come out and read the feedback on it and then make your decision.

Excellent point on budget...I think the smoke fire looks very good and tempting with that being said the $1200 is tough to swallow. If getting a gasser I would like to stay under $400 if a pellet maybe $700? Thanks for pointing this omission out.

Then you’ll want to look for a PG that gives you a direct grill option which I believe Pit Boss has but someone will correct me if I’m wrong.

For what you are describing, a Weber Spirit gas grill is hard to get past. My two-burner was ~$250 on Father's day.

A pellet grill is an option but, will it sear? Where do you get 'economical' pellets? What do you do when it needs a bit of a 'tune-up'?

Pellet smokers are nice but, you really aren't describing one when you talk about your needs.

I work late nights so Im like you when I get home at 2am I just want something quick. The best thing I bought for that was the Weber Q. It heats fast, a full propane tank lasts me over a year, and I take it camping too.

If I want smoke flavor I can toss a chunk of wood on the grate or a foil bomb with pellets. It’s not BBQ Pitmasters worthy but its perfect after a long night at work.

Although I will say that new SmokeFire has my attention.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The pellet grill is as easy to use as gas but, at least for mine, it isn't as fast. Preheat time to get to grilling temperatures is definitely longer than by Genesis. The Rectec isn't really setup for direct searing so it's possible grills that are would be faster.

The new Weber does look like it might be a great option but I can understand the budget constraints. The $1,200 mentioned is for the larger one I think. They have a model that's a couple hundred less -- though that's still too much

In terms of ease of smoking, it's a lot easier than using charcoal, particularly in setup and cleanup. From reading here though, I think that folks coming from something like a WSM (which has a pretty heavy smoke flavor) have more trouble adapting to the smoke profile of pellets.

Are we looking at natural gas or propane ? Natural gas no tank but is more stationary. I like to have the gas option available along with the pellet but I have a pellet smoker. Gas is quick. I do like the thought of the new weber.

I work late nights so Im like you when I get home at 2am I just want something quick. The best thing I bought for that was the Weber Q. It heats fast, a full propane tank lasts me over a year, and I take it camping too.

If I want smoke flavor I can toss a chunk of wood on the grate or a foil bomb with pellets. It’s not BBQ Pitmasters worthy but its perfect after a long night at work.

Although I will say that new SmokeFire has my attention.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used my Q200 on my apartment deck for 2 or 3 years. It's not nearly as nice as my Genesis is, but it did the trick.

Maybe buy something like that and save for the Weber Smoke Fire? :mrgreen:

One of my urban hike routes takes me by a Sears outlet store. I’ve not had a gas/propane grill for a very long time. I opted for the small cookers instead. BGE Mini-All Seasons Feeders Tabletop-Weber Go Anywhere etc. I’m cooking for two so space is plentiful. I can have Half a chimney glowing red almost quicker than I can prep the food.

But If my heart was set on a gas grill Id go to Sears outlet. They always have something low in price that looks like would last many years. If wanting a top shelf legacy gasser, disregard the above

As for pellet cooker you can also spend a little or a crapton Of Benjamin’s.

It’s all heat meat and seasoning. Good luck

Last edited:
Pretty much Weber and Broil King are the only viable options in the sub-$1000 category for gassers. What the OP described needing doesn't sound like a pellet grill.

I have two pellet cookers. That are pretty much the only cookers I use at this point. An offset type and a vertical cabinet. BUT I am not going to try and sell you on the idea. I will say this:
1. I am not mechanically inclined either...I mean really not but I was able to replace the ignitor in my grill with no problems, just a little dirt
2. I have no covered cooking area, but I do have a grill cover and keep my cabinet in the garage.
3. I frequently neglect cleaning out pellets and it may bite me in the butt?
4. I can grill and smoke food which is awesome
5. It gives some smoke flavor to everything
6. my wife was able to smoke a turkey without me being home
7. it takes longer than ten minutes to heat completely up for grilling, and many kinds do not give you direct grilling options (I use the hot spots on the outside edges of my grill to sear)

HOWEVER

1. A gasser will heat up faster, and get hotter, and grilling on one is easier
2. You can still use a gasser to smoke food with a pellet tube or wood chip box
3. propane is not going to soak up moisture or be affected by weather and cause malfunctions.
4. my Dad, who is a new user since summer, caught his pellet grill on fire from misuse
5. you can take a gasser anywhere, without a generator

I gave you some facts, there you go! Hope that helps

Get a propane weed burner at harbor freight. Lay coals in kettle, hit with weed burner for 3 minutes. Go inside, get meat, start cooking.

I cooked on gas many years and now don’t even own one. Currently have a 26” kettle, 22” WSM and a cheap offset. If weed burner for quick fire isn’t your thing there are some lump charcoals out there that fire up really quick in a chimney, making the time savings of a gasser almost null. If you still want a gasser just look used on Craigslist and other outlets. No sense in spending a ton of cash on something you just want to use for quick weekday meals.

Personally I would get a pellet grill. I got a RecTec RT-590 for their warranty and construction. While it doesn't heat up as quick as a gasser, it definitely is better than my kettle. While the RecTec doesn't have a "direct grilling" mode, the use of Grill Grates has made me all but forget about it. I'm the guy who likes cast iron like searing on my steaks (no grill marks, entire surface) and the grill grates deliver. The grill grates also make fantastic burgers and brats.

The downsides are they don't get as hot and can have difficulty maintaining high temps in cold and windy weather. I've never had mine miss a beat when trying to hold sub 300f for longer cooks but have had issues getting above 450-475 when it is windy/cold.

Back