Gameplan for cornish hens on a UDS

bbq1980

Knows what a fatty is.
It's supposed to be below freezing this week and my wife will probably think I'm crazy but I've got 4 cornish hens that are likely UDS-bound as part of NYE dinner. I've butterflied, brined and smoked several whole birds before so I've got a general idea of what to do and I've looked through the cornish hen threads, but I'm still going back and forth over a few things:

1. Brine - How long? I've seen some threads that used overnight brines and I've used the general 1 hr/lb on whole chickens before but these are 24 oz cluckers so I'm guessing that ~ 2 hrs brine time would be plenty for these little guys, unless I cut the salt in the brine. Would an overnight brine be better?

2. Brine recipe - My standard has been kosher salt, white sugar, bay leaf, garlic cloves, black pepper and cumin but I'm open to trying anything new, especially if it'll bring more flavor to the party. I saw cowgirl's threads but couldn't find an actual recipe and can't find the recipe section for some reason.

3. Temp - I've seen anywhere between 250 and 300 F. I might aim for 300 and expect a ~ 90 mn cook time, taking the hens to about 165 IT. What have others used for a cook temp? I don't have any insulation for the UDS but I know I can get up to 300 easy with Ozark Oak.

4. Whole or butterflied? I've always butterflied whole chickens and smoked 'em flat but I've seen the small 6 oz juice cans used for game hens. What do folks suggest?

5. I've read that they don't necessarily sit well, so I'll give them a 15 mn or so rest but can I cook 'em a few hours in advance or is it better to try and time them closer to dinner? I'd like to cook them a tad in advance if possible.

Thx in advance.

I like to use a basic water, sugar, salt brine then add what ever I feel like at the time. Garlic, crushed red peppers, bay leaves, peppercorns...
I brine at least 2 hours but usually don't brine game hens overnight.
One of my favorite ways to smoke them is with smoked sausage slices under the skin, then slather the skin with butter.

I use a high temp with them, at least 325F.

Good luck with what ever you come up with I'm sure they will be tasty!

edited to add...
for smoke game hens, I like to leave them whole. For grilled hens I spatchcock them.

Back