Fun contest we did last weekend (pron heavy)

ITBFQ

is Blowin Smoke!
Last weekend, we cooked in the Old Irving Park Beer and BBQ Challenge on the NW side of Chicago. The contest pairs bbq teams with local craft breweries to benefit a private Catholic school. I'm not affiliated with the school at all, but I am a teacher, and a friend of mine is a big craft beer guy - perfect for us. No entry fee, 5 butts provided, electricity, tents, LOTS of free beer, everyone cooking, hanging out and taking Friday night was a great experience. All we had to do was cook the butts and feed the people that bought tickets! It was a people's choice/voting contest as well as judged by Barry Sorkin of Smoque and two other local chefs. Lots of pics follow. We didn't win any awards, but didn't really care. We had a fantastic time, had lots of great beers, and came away with some great stories to tell!

I made the marinade for cochinita pibil at home. Found a great recipe and multiplied it by 5 for the 5 butts we had to cook. The Ceylon/true cinnamon, all spice berries, skwering and grilling the garlic first, etc. made for a marinade that I thought was perfect.

That stuff gets messy!

I put my UDS and WSM to work. On the right is my friend's WSM. The pork marinated for about 12 hours. Then on the smokers at 225 loosely wrapped in banana leaves and tied with kitchen twine.

I thought banana leaves would be hard to find. They aren't. If you have a Mexican or Asian grocery store near you, they are in the frozen section and about a dollar for a huge amount. This is Scott - a fellow brethren (SuperQue, I think?) and friend who came to give us a hand, drink beer and hang out.

There were a few shenanigans over night. This is not a picture of those. What happens at a contest stays at a contest, right?

Pork off the smoker.

Yes, we were paired with Revolution Brewing. We met with the brewer and tasted lots of beers with the tacos a few weeks before the contest and settled on El Hefe Loco - an Hefeweisen with some nice banana esters that complimented the pork really well. Revolution gave us a barrel they aged Working Mom in. We cut that up and used it for smoke flavor. The smell was surreal.

Just a couple shots of what we had to offer at our table (we were just one of 18 teams). We had a few more friends show up Saturday to help us serve over 500 tacos to the attendees. We were able to walk around and sample what a few of the other teams were offering. I thought we had a really good chance. We didn't have any calls, but we had a fantastic time. It was a dream come true to work with Revolution - they make some of my absolute favorite beers. We will definitely cook this contest again next year.

Matt, Thanks for the inspiration. The ingredients took a little searching for, but I was really intrigued by those flavor profiles. Mine still has a few hours to go, but I'm really looking forward to it.

Sounds like a lot of fun and I'm sure once people read this post you will have a few more teams in attendance next year.

That sounds like a blast! I went to Revolution last year when I was in town for some Royals games, and the beer was great, the people were nice...that's a fantastic comp.

That sounds like a great time! I was talking to Scott about it on Saturday. The pork and pairing sound great!

Matt, Thanks for the inspiration. The ingredients took a little searching for, but I was really intrigued by those flavor profiles. Mine still has a few hours to go, but I'm really looking forward to it.

Awesome! I tested a few different marinades, and the recipe I linked to was the best. I just subbed one package of El Yucateco achiote paste for the annatto seeds. Hope yours turned out well!

Back