Frozen Ribs

Mike Twangzer

is One Chatty Farker
Has anyone ever not thawed out pork ribs and just tossed them on the smoker frozen, seasoned with no membrane pull ? How did it turn out ?

Do it all the time. Season heavy when it sweats. Comes out great.
The member that had the ridiculously long restaurant thread...he of the habanero pickle...threw ribs on frozen. I'm don't know if that was his actual day ta day method or it just happened at times.
His pickle recipe is quite good. Prized Piggy or something similar.

-D

I've never cooked frozen ribs. Will not do it, but it will will be interesting to read the following responses. :pop2:

If it were an impromptu cook and my ribs wouldn't have an opportunity to thaw, I'd just go buy another rack at the market to cook. This would enable me to use what I got. I was worried that cooking wouldn't be even. So far some good tips and no actual fails. Still a bit gun shy but wth !!!

I’ve never done it, but on a recent post I pointed out that I took a course at a KCBS competition and in addition to teaching thier competition methods, they also taught how they do their bulk feed operation. My wife and I were even behind the counter to see their operation first hand. This places sells so many ribs that they start from frozen right out of the reefer truck.

Here is a photo of thier lines, they are this long all weekend. One of the brethren is a good friend of theirs.
B6-AE1788-DBC1-4783-A945-C76-B48-F78010.jpg

I’ve never done it, but on a recent post I pointed out that I took a course at a KCBS competition and in addition to teaching thier competition methods, they also taught how they do their bulk feed operation. My wife and I were even behind the counter to see their operation first hand. This places sells so many ribs that they start from frozen right out of the reefer truck.

Here is a photo of thier lines, they are this long all weekend. One of the brethren is a good friend of theirs.
B6-AE1788-DBC1-4783-A945-C76-B48-F78010.jpg

I’ve never done frozen. If I don’t plan ahead I have thawed in cryovac in warm water, but while on the comp circuit I did see one of the rib vendors like above throwing cases of frozen slabs on the smoker in the early AM before the crowds arrived. I was kinda shocked but his lines were long and I knew then that it could definitely be done.

I’ll keep thawing mine tho…. :cool:

Back