Frozen meat on the smoker

At a comp earlier this year we were walking down "vendor row" early one morning and noticed a BBQ vendor was loading up his big smoker with rock hard frozen slabs of ribs. We both looked at each other and wondered if that's really what we saw, but....yep. Sure enough. I never got over to try those ribs, but it must work somehow. They must have seasoned later after the outside softened?

I wonder if rubbing the ribs after they're bought from the store and then freezing them for cooking-from-frozen would work. That way, you don't have to worry about rubbing them prior to throwing them on the smoker.

I wonder if rubbing the ribs after they're bought from the store and then freezing them for cooking-from-frozen would work. That way, you don't have to worry about rubbing them prior to throwing them on the smoker.

I was just thinking the same thing. Gonna have to try this, and see if it works. :wink:

I never did this with ribs, but I put my pork butts in the pit at just above freezing temperatures in an effort to attain more smoke flavor in the meat (I don't foil).

It has always worked for my tastes. I guess I'll try my next rib cook that way as well.

Thanks for sharing your idea......

I thought I remember reading on here a while back that the colder the meat the more smoke it takes in....Some people were posting they only cook ribs starting frozen and they always had massive smoke rings.

Yup. Cold meat will 'attract' more smoke (article on Amazingribs.com).

What I do is after prepping/marinating, about 1-1½ hours before I start (depending on the meat size/weight) I put them in the freezer. So the meat isn't really frozen, just very chilled (I usually have a ½ hour drive to get to where I can Q, and then about 1 hour to setup & have the smoker on temp. and transport the meat in a cooler).

My second post and I'm going to wake up this thread since I havn't found more info on the topic. Could be it's because it's a bad idea but I'm going to make a test with pork tenderloin(?) (filé of pig). My thought is to take 2 of them applying dry rub and then tieing them together (slim side/thick side) and then put them in the freezer. Tomorrow I'll throw them on the WSM and let them simmer at a low temperature until all done. If anyone has tried and can advice in the matter I'm greatful of course :)
Sry for possible grammar errors.

There was a test kitchen segment awhile back on GMA, where frozen vs thawed cooks were compared. In all of meats tested, there was significantly more moisture in the frozen. There was reference that it is becoming a trend with some chefs and restaurants. Wonder how you would get a probe in frozen meat though.

Most of the time my briskets and butts show 32 on the maverick when I put them on. I guess I need to give them another day to thaw in the fridge. Never had any issues.

I've taken butts from the freezer and went strait to the pit on a last minute whim a few times however I wouldn't recommend it on a UDS you might put out the fire.

Yeah, I think the biggest issue is what it might do to your cooking temp.

The salt in the rubs might kill the meat if you wait to long

Also the only issue I see is a low and slo cook with frozen meat might leave you in the temperature danger zone too long with big meats.

Back