Friday Night Pizza for the TD

lunchman

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Dom
Friday night is normally Pizza Night at our house, but I've been somewhat lazy lately using store bought Naan bread, making quick pizzas on the Blackstone. Not tonight.

Since there's a throwdown in progress and two bags of "00" flour have been sitting in the pantry I decided tonight's pizzas would be made on the Goldens'. I started my fire mid afternoon to let the grill get up to pizza baking temps. Indirect, two level of grates, Lodge CI pizza pan. Surface temps at cook time were around 550 - 560F.

8PJORHV.jpg

The dough this morning, waiting to rise -

CrolzhP.jpg

After an all day rise in a warm location, the yield is two dough balls -

r48YKj0.jpg

Pie #1. Meat Lover's.
Pepperoni, Virginia Ham, Bacon, Ground Beef. Roasted Red Peppers thrown in for good measure -

zeZTiZZ.jpg

Five to six minutes, done.

Pie #2. Garlic Shrimp and Bacon.

NaYiNd1.jpg

Five minutes, done.

ZCBoU5T.jpg

Ready to be sliced -

Sg6zTiF.jpg

JD2A1i9.jpg

OcwvrFq.jpg

I haven't made pizza with this "00" flour in a long time. I followed the recipe on the package rather than the one I normally use. The result was pizza perfection.

tnAfxad.jpg

Rkigf5d.jpg

As you can tell from the pics, these turned out quite well. I attribute part of today's success to not being impatient with grill temps, letting the Goldens' get up to temp for a good 90 minutes, allowing the CI pan to get to a proper baking temp. Many times in the past I've waited 8 to 12 minutes for a pie to be done. They were done in 5 today.

Thanks for checking in on today's pizza experiment!

Regards,
-lunchman

Should it not be used at those temps? Fill me in on what I'm unaware of regarding this flour.

00 is ideal for very high Temps or it doesn't brown properly. Likely why you didn't get any color on the top side of the crust.

That's why it's used in neapolitan pizza as they cook really hot.

A good bread flour is great in that range. You'll get nice color, and the caramelized flavors that come with it 😁

Looking killer as usual Dom!

Love your your non conventional approach to 00 flour. We all know 00 is great with high heat but who cares?? I know they tasted right. :thumb: And you cooked on CI. Love everything about it.

Mighty Fine Pies Dom! As you may already know Shrimp Pizza is a big deal here. Put a slice of each on your entry if allowed. :clap2:

Nicely done! I have a pizza stone and a lodge cast iron like the one shown. I bought it in Pigeon Forge from lodge around 2001

Those are some great looking pies!! I keep saying that I am going to try my hand at pizza on my keg, and after seeing those, I will be doing it soon. Most excellent cook, sir.

Thanks, all. Looks like I might have to do some research into flour types and pizza temps. Never realized pizza could be so complex.

Based on feedback I might change my entry pic.

Thanks, all. Looks like I might have to do some research into flour types and pizza temps. Never realized pizza could be so complex.

Based on feedback I might change my entry pic.

Feel free to shoot me a pm. I may be able to help you out with some info as pizza is my true passion/hobby, with bbq as my secondary hobby 😂

Back