Free pecan wood

Blowin' Smoke

Full Fledged Farker
So I found a guy on Craigslist who had a pecan tree fall and offered it for free to anybody that would clean it up. I grabbed a saw and went to cutting. My question is how small of limbs are actually good for smoking? I cut a bit of bigger stuff, maybe 8” diameter, that I’m going to split later but I hated to leave the smaller pieces. I went down to maybe 2” diameter limbs but are those any good for smoking? I figured if nothing else I could use them to start the fire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sure they are. You may need extra to maintain temperature when you are smoking, but they will do fine. Or if you aren't comfortable, use them for the charcoal base. I have also taken ones that small and sliced them into 1 or 2 inch chunks.

Yup the smaller branches work great, also cut them into 2" to 4" chunks for flavoring when cooking with coals.

Honestly this guy has more than I need, I just wish I had more places to keep it. It will need to season for a while, and I have my little covered wood shed double stacked so not really anywhere else to keep it other than piled up on the ground

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back