Smoked Chocolate Chip Bourbon Pecan Pie

frognot

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Charles
I've done this pie for a few Brethren bashes so figured would do it for the Dessert Throwdown that's going on. Smoked it on the Big Green Egg using Jealous Devil lump charcoal and some pecan wood. Chased temps a bit (wanted a steady 300 for an hour) and think should have cook a little bit longer.

Paired nicely with some decaf coffee with a wee nip of Four Roses in it.

Been a crazy week with having a car totaled by hail damage but have a new car so it's all good. Was gonna do a jalapeno peach cobbler like I made for the Chicago bash a few years ago but discovered was out of peach Pepper Jelly so went with this pie instead.

Attachments

• XpwyuKu - Imgur.jpg
    XpwyuKu - Imgur.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 120
  • kJJ3pyV - Imgur (1).jpg
    kJJ3pyV - Imgur (1).jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 118
  • xesnc2C - Imgur.jpg
    xesnc2C - Imgur.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 121
Charles, that looks fantastic - the last pic is vintage-style Brethren at its best!

YUM!

That's my FAVORITE type of pie!

Options to consider:
Double the amount of pecans from whatever the recipe calls for (I prefer more pecans than the gooey stuff under the pecans...YMMV);
If you're feeling a bit adventurous, add some cinnamon to the pie filling mix.

Bruce

Charles, that looks fantastic - the last pic is vintage-style Brethren at its best!

Did Moose just call me old? (Looks in mirror. Hmmmm. Guess I am vintage.)

Just messing with ya'll. I stayed in Richard's home at a SoCal bash and he and Kathleen are such incredible hosts and wonderful cooks. Kathleen insisted on making homemade pie crust when I mentioned frozen ones were on my shopping list. Then at dinner everything was homemade (tortillas, salsa, pico for the best tacos ever.)

Just another reminder about the awesome folks you can meet a Bash. Pretty sure Hotch is already planning the next Texas Bash.

Back