Franklin BBQ: A Meat Smoking Manifesto (Preview)

read a couple chapters so far, and so far i love it. I get tired of just reading basically just recipes in a lot of other bbq books. i like the story and technical info aspect a lot.

Got mine last night! I read through the first chapter and the first few pages of the second. Honestly, I was looking forward to finishing the first chapter so I could get into the technical stuff, but wow, it is an amazing story! Truly a rags to riches tale. I'm really glad he included it in the book.
Just from reading the first few pages of the second chapter, I already have some ideas for mods to my smoker to make it better. I can't wait to get to the fire management section. Awesome book so far!!!

read a couple chapters so far, and so far i love it. I get tired of just reading basically just recipes in a lot of other bbq books. i like the story and technical info aspect a lot.

I haven't received mine yet, but that's what I'm looking forward. I already have a few books with recipes in it.

The book is great and I really like Franklins humble beginnings. I think 99% of the people who read this forum started on a stick burner from Home Depot, so we can relate to the long hours and frustration to the thrill of serving something edible when we finally made all the proper mods.

Franklin is great. He's got my vote. The good folks at La Barbecue get runner up with honors.

Got my book today a long with secrets to smoking WSM style. Going to be enjoyable couple of weeks.

Received my copy on the day it was released. Got through about half of the book. Very good read. Glad it's not a book with hundreds of recipes. I am more interested in the technique.
I did try the bean recipe. Followed it to a "T" and it was awful. Way too much salt and chili powder. I even cut back on both and it was too much. I soaked the beans overnight and cooked on a low simmer for about 5-6 hours. They smell was great but they were not good.
I also tried his basic sauce recipe. There was a recipe posted on line from an interview he did a while back. I didn't like that sauce either. Can't find that recipe to compare to the one he has in his book so I can't be certain they are the same.

I finished reading the book this weekend. Great read. Very simple and straightforward. What comes across most to me is his attention to detail and his thoughtfulness about every step of the process. His recipes/methods appear simple, but at the same time he apparently adheres to them very strictly and has a very clear understanding of why he does each and every thing that he does.

I was going to go to a thing he was cooking at this last Friday with APL, but circumstances prevented me from making it. A friend of mine did go and had his mind blown by the brisket.

This book could not have come at a better time for me.
I picked up a used Klose about a month ago and started learning how to use a stick burner.

Ive had some great cooks from it so far thanks to all the advice Greg (GTR) has given me.

But this book Arron Franklin put out was just what I needed and has got me pretty farkin excited about firing the Klose up again.

This was my last cook. 48lbs of brisket and beef ribs.
IMG_4478_zps5miuo65f.jpg

This turned out better then I'd ever imagined!
I hope to learn from what I've read so far and continue to improve on my bbq at home!

Truly a great book!! Highly recommended!

I finished the book a few days ago: good read, well done, but didn't really learn anything much new (which is a good thing). Like Franklin, I got really serious about barbecueing with a New Braunfels Hondo, although it was by no means my first smoker. And mine was a real one, made of heavier metal. Despite its many faults, I got a lot of great barbecue out of it for twenty-odd years. No modifications, just learning its flaws and quirks and working around them.

Where I'd disagree with him is on electric smokers (my Smokin-It #3 puts out the best brisket I've ever eaten) and reverse flow smokers (I'm loving my new one). True, I've never cooked on the much-hyped brand that he used in that NY competition and had a huge grease fire, and frankly, I never will. I just don't cook the volume of meat he does, so I haven't worried about a grease fire since I quit using the Hondo. To me, a brisket and a few sausages is a good day's work; I've maxed out at a couple of turkeys and a few sausages, but again, nothing that's likely to create a grease fire.

Well, I also tend to like at least some hickory added to oak. While I've eaten a lot of Louie Mueller's and other central TX BBQ's, I grew up around Houston and hickory was easier to come by there than it is further west. There's nothing wrong with post oak, but I can't get it here. Our local oaks are OK, but greatly improved with a bit of hickory or pecan. I'd also quibble a bit with him about just when brisket became the meat for barbecue. IBP may have helped it along, but I ate a lot more brisket than any other cut in the 1940's and on. Some joints would use shoulder clods, some would use halved clods so they'd cook faster, some would cook cuts of meat nobody could ever identify. But for the most part, brisket was prevalent because it was cheap. It just wasn't the only cut of beef you'd find in a BBQ joint.

I like his approach and especially his attention to detail. While I don't believe I really learned anything much from the book, I enjoyed reading it and having someone of his reputation spell out just how uncomplicated barbecueing can be. Whenever I get back to Austin again, I'll be standing in his line.

Last edited:
Already finished the book and thought it was great. Franklin is a humble guy with amazing attention to detail. It isn't about crazy injections and 4 layers of rub... just quality meat and perfect execution.

Finished it today. Great read. Franklin seems like a guy you'd want to sit & have a couple of beers with. Genuinely humble. Highly recommend!

I got mine yesterday and read through the "smoker" section. I've always been a huge fan of his and now I'm even more of a fan. I really respect what he has done, how he carries himself as well as how he passes along information. It really comes from the mind of someone who is extremely passionate about what he does.

It had me out doing a very thorough cleaning of my cookers when I got home from work haha!

Pretty entertaining read so far. It's amazing how fast his business grew. Right place at the right time, plus a natural talent for smoking meat.

Has anyone made the beans and the potato salad from his book???

except eddieh 70301, he did not like the beans, so make me wonder if they are
a bad recipe.

EG

Back