THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just want to share for those whose may be having trouble with keeping a fire.
I was having trouble with my fire, now I am going to try it franklin way. He say
First, start with well seasoned dry wood that's going to catch quickly. he choose slim, straight pieces of wood that noticeably light and dry and split them into skinny pieces like kindling. As with so many aspects of handling a smoker. The primary concern is airflow Inside the firebox. he build a little crosshatched structure with them. almost as if he were building a cabin with Lincoln Logs. He start with two wedge-shaped larger pieces on either side to create a base, and then he put three smaller pieces about 2 inches in diameter, on top of the those. And then one more layer of three small pieces of three logs, spaced 4 to 6 inches apart and going crossways the firebox. Perpendicular to the 1st to logs lie another two, creating a square. Then he stack one more layer of two logs directly over and parallel to the first ones he laid down. In the structure, the curved shape of his preferred firebox comes into play. Since the logs on the base stretch across the arc of the circle, they allow airflow underneath them too. which wouldn't happen if they were resting flush on the bottom of a flat firebox. He say if he were force to work with a flat firebox, he would do the same. Now you need some tinder and possibly kindling . he usually employ a used piece of butcher paper in which he wrapped a brisket. It's saturated with fat and grease and goes up like a torch
He don't use lighter fluid. Splinter a few thin, dry slivers off of a dry log for kindling(larger pieces of tinder to catch from the tinder and continue to grow the fire). Now simply crumple up the butcher paper and place it in the middle of your little structure. Place the kindling inside the structure atop of the tinder and give it a light. He talk about his basic Philosophy of fires.

If anyone is not sure if they want to pull the trigger, just go to Amazon site and select the "look inside" option. They really have a LOT of pages on the preview. After looking you will most likely order.

Very curious on the techniques he uses while smoking different types of meats. Pre-ordered mine last week.

DSC00038_zpssrskbzik.jpg

She's getting close.....I feel like I should bail on work so i can wait for my bundle of joy....

Expected Delivery Date: April 7, 2015

Service Type: USPS Tracking™

Shipment Activity Location Date & Time
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Out for Delivery SOMERS POINT, NJ 08244 April 7, 2015 7:31 am
Sorting Complete SOMERS POINT, NJ 08244 April 7, 2015 7:21 am
Arrived at Post Office SOMERS POINT, NJ 08244 April 7, 2015 5:29 am
Acceptance SOMERS POINT, NJ 08244 April 7, 2015 5:25 am
Accepted at USPS Destination Sort Facility SOMERS POINT, NJ 08244 April 7, 2015 4:14 am
Picked Up by Shipping Partner TRENTON, NJ 08691 April 5, 2015 4:19 pm

Back