For the "Healthy and Delicious" throwdown I have blackened catfish and smoky roasted vegetables

SMOKE FREAK

Babbling Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Craig
Roasted vegetables consist of acorn squash, red onions, mushrooms, and frozen green beans. Coated with EVOO and dusted with Q-salt.
A bit of pecan smoke just because I can.

After the veggies are done they will rest in the oven. The hot pan keeps them warm.

Fish fillets go onto the Jim Beam griddle.

3 minutes and a flip.

And plated with a Creole cream sauce.:thumb:

I prefer my catfish fried but in the name of "Healthy and Delicious", blackened fillets got the call this time.

Thanks for checking it out.

Roasted vegetables consist of acorn squash, red onions, mushrooms, and frozen green beans. Coated with EVOO and dusted with Q-salt.
A bit of pecan smoke just because I can.

After the veggies are done they will rest in the oven. The hot pan keeps them warm.

Fish fillets go onto the Jim Beam griddle.

3 minutes and a flip.

And plated with a Creole cream sauce.:thumb:

I prefer my catfish fried but in the name of "Healthy and Delicious", blackened fillets got the call this time.

Thanks for checking it out.

Outstanding! I’m eating more and more catfish lately…do you use oil or butter in the pan? Also, please tel me more about the sauce? Looks fantastic!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Outstanding! I’m eating more and more catfish lately…do you use oil or butter in the pan? Also, please tel me more about the sauce? Looks fantastic!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I sprayed the pan with a bit of duck fat. A bit of melted butter might have been better.

Creole Cream Sauce
1 C. heavy cream
2 T. Creole mustard
2 T. honey
salt and pepper to taste.

Bring to a boil, reduce heat to simmer, reduce mixture by half. Salt and pepper and cool slightly before use.

I used Whole grain mustard because I had no Creole mustard.
I increased the mustard and reduced the honey. :clap2: It was pretty danged good.

Oh yeah... I'd be all over that combo! :hungry:

DSC06835.jpg

Not a big fan of fish, but this one looks really delicious!

Inviato dal mio M2101K7BNY utilizzando Tapatalk

Any details on that sauce? Is that whole or coarse ground mustard I see in it? I’m imagining some things I’d like to use it on.

Nevermind, answered!

That looks great! Blackened and grilled fish of any kind has become my favorite way to cook it. I still like fried but good blackened fish ... oh baby!

Looks like a nice smooth vintage pan, no?

The answer is no. Smooth but not vintage.

It must have been a drunk purchase prompted by Amazon.
When it arrived I said No No No...The cooking surface was like an asphalt roadway. Took my angle grinder to it with flap disks. First coarse and then fine. Then reseasoned. Which is still a work in progress.

And this is probably what spurred the decision to buy this thing.
A quick pic of the bottom.

It's smooth and slick as any of my Sydney O pans.
Yesterday morning I seared some slices of smoked fatty and followed that with two eggs. Flipped them with no problem. NO stick.

But vintage? No.

Back