Roasted Pepper (and asst'd veggies) Soup

lunchman

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Dom
After yesterday's "they looked great but had zero flavor" chicken thighs, I set out for atonement today (with my taste buds). Somehow I'd stumbled across an interesting YouTube channel - Yeung Man Cooking. I was instantly hooked. The video quality, the recipes.... Didn't matter that all of the recipes are plant based, the food looks stunning. Today I tried Roasted Pepper Soup.

Sorry, no outside grilling in this one. Perhaps next time I'll roast the veggies outdoors for some smokiness. Today, it's strictly an indoor recipe.

Now I like to make a Butternut Squash soup this time of year. But this recipe featured an array of veggies, none of which I would have put together on my own. Not that they don't work together, I simply never would have considered combining these. I didn't get any prep work pics, but cutting veggies isn't all that interesting anyway. The cast of veggies:

Red Bell Peppers
Orange Bell Peppers
Yellow Bell Peppers
Sweet Potatoes
Carrots
Garlic
Red Onion
Chickpeas
Rosemary
Paprika
EVOO, S&P

I doubled the recipe. Here are two trays of roughly chopped veggies, sprinkled with EVOO, Paprika, S&P ready for the oven. The garlic remains in its paper, sweet potatoes don't need to be peeled -

NCfGdAd.jpg

After 45 minutes in a 375F oven, the kitchen was filled with a wonderful aroma. The veggies were fork tender -

RrcPovk.jpg

38yggpG.jpg

Garlic wonderfully soft and fragrant, removed from its paper -

aJw57iR.jpg

Save a good amount for garnish, the rest go into a blender with some veggie stock. No Vitamix here, so I put my Ninja to work -

gvunuit.jpg

It took a few batches to get these properly pureed, but the results were looking darn good -

PxsbeOP.jpg

A nice consistency, now we simply have to wait for the soup to come to temp.

Plated with the veggie garnish (which I cut into smaller pieces and into a CI skillet for a few more minutes) and a drizzle of EVOO -

Nxn3NQ3.jpg

Kr6KRN7.jpg

SHiAAJf.jpg

This was outstanding! Who woulda thunk that red, orange & yellow bell peppers mixed with carrots, sweet potato, garlic and chickpeas would make an unbelievably great Fall soup?

Easy to make, the most tedious part is the up front knife work. I omitted the Coconut Cream dollop that's in the recipe, sour cream would work equally well I'm sure. Toasting the chickpeas til crunchy would be a great addition. As would roasted peanuts or pumpkin seeds.

Tomorrow's task: Spicy Red Chili Oil !!

I'm intrigued by a number of the recipes Wil Yeung presents, don't care if they're vegan or not. I'm sure I'll be attempting quite a few more. This one was most definitely a winner!

Regards,
-lunchman

Thanks all. This was an easy and delicious soup to make.

This morning I gave Red Chili Oil a go. His site has two different recipes, the latest video uses Ghost Peppers. No ghost peppers here, so I made use of dried Arbol peppers instead.

Some of you folks who are into Korean bbq can enlighten me on the use of Gochujang (red chili paste). I did manage to find some at my local supermarket so that was a plus. The recipe calls for Gochugaru which is a powder and is said to give the oil a fiery red color.

My substitution yielded a brown oil. I started with Grapeseed, added all the spices and tried to incorporate the chili paste into the oil. Not a resounding success but it did finally disappear into the oil.

Other than the final color, the taste is quite good. It's got some heat but it's not excessive. If I experiment with this again, I'll try to find Gochugaru.

A few pics -

wh5Fsa2.jpg

IgUbqwm.jpg

I'll let the peppers and cinnamon stick infuse in the oil, we'll see if the flavor intensifies.

Now, what to do with Gochujang? Who's into Korean BBQ and knows how to best use it?

Still having fun in the kitchen.

-Dom

Looks fantastic! Im just now at the point where I'll be moving away from the 'weekly salad' on the menu, to the 'weekly soup'. And I know my vegan will be thrilled, especially if I smoke-roast them like you mentioned. Any other changes that you'd suggest?

Looks fantastic! Im just now at the point where I'll be moving away from the 'weekly salad' on the menu, to the 'weekly soup'. And I know my vegan will be thrilled, especially if I smoke-roast them like you mentioned. Any other changes that you'd suggest?

For those who don't want to keep this vegan: MEAT! :mrgreen:

Honestly though, it's good enough as is. I think some crispy chickpeas would be great as a topping. As far as other veggie additions, perhaps one of the Fall squashes?

Back