FoodSaver Questions

B

beachape

Hey Guys,

Just got a smoker and after reading much about people using Foodsavers on the site, I've been trying to convince myself to get one. I always end up getting freezer burn in my ziplock bags...

1) I was thinking about getting the FoodSaver V2840 from Amazon for about 115$ with shipping. Any reason to buy a different machine?
2) Just me and SWMBO, but it seems the best deals are buying pairs of butts and 3-racks of spares at Sam's. For taste, is it best to freeze the raw meat or the cooked product?
3) How much does the meat suffer being frozen for a couple months?
4) Will a whole butt fit in one of those 11"bags?
5) I read some threads where people mentioned buying generic bags/rolls on ebay. Would you mind sharing which sellers you've used?

Thanks!

Just got my foodsaver this past christmas. Haven't had to buy bags yet, but I'm sure some of the other brethren will hook you up with some info. I haven't tried to fit a whole butt in the bags, but from what I've seen, I don't think it would fit. A boston butt, maybe. I haven't noticed a difference in quality between smoking frozen & fresh meat, but I would think you'd be better off freezing finished product; it would save you a bit of work, plus if you get the hard part out of the way first so when you want Que, all you'd have to do is heat some up!

I have a Foodsaver V3880 and enjoy/use it quite a bit. Anything on sale gets a vacuum seal job at this house. The exception is pork shoulders. They are just too big. I have never had a problem with freezer burn on my pork shoulders wrapped in 2 layers of cling wrap.

I really like to cook my pork shoulders, pull them and then vac-seal individual meal size packages of it. Works great. I also vac-seal egg rolls and darn near everything I cook...

You can make spaghetti with sauce and vac seal that. Great to take camping and then just get a pot of hot water and voila!

Hey Guys,

Just got a smoker and after reading much about people using Foodsavers on the site, I've been trying to convince myself to get one. I always end up getting freezer burn in my ziplock bags...

1) I was thinking about getting the FoodSaver V2840 from Amazon for about 115$ with shipping. Any reason to buy a different machine?
2) Just me and SWMBO, but it seems the best deals are buying pairs of butts and 3-racks of spares at Sam's. For taste, is it best to freeze the raw meat or the cooked product?
3) How much does the meat suffer being frozen for a couple months?
4) Will a whole butt fit in one of those 11"bags?
5) I read some threads where people mentioned buying generic bags/rolls on ebay. Would you mind sharing which sellers you've used?

Thanks!

1. The machines all work equally well. Some have more bells and whistles than the others, but when vacuum sealing food, they are all pretty equal.

2. The pork butts and ribs at my sams club are cryovac sealed already. You don't need to re-seal those before you toss them in the freezer.

3. I have cooked a butt that has been frozen for at least three months and it was fine. I'm not ready to go out onto a limb about ribs holding up as well in the freezer. The last ribs I cooked that were frozen previously didn't seem as good and were slightly tough.

4. Hopefully you won't need to fit a whole butt in a vac bag. If you cook it first, either cut it down or just go ahead and pull it before you vacuum seal it.

5. I have no experience with third party bags on these...i have just bought the brand name in the local stores.

I have a V2040 and use it all the time, I buy meat and poultry when it is on sale and make meal size packages and freeze them. I like to buy my pork at sams, for me they have the best value and best quality pork in our area. When i do butts and ribs I usually cook everything and again make meal size packs and freeze them, even ribs. They are just as good, if not better after sitting awhile. I buy off brand rolls of bags from ebay and they work great and are much cheaper, I believe it was Filmtech. I do not believe a butt from sams will fit into an 11" bag.

Good luck and enjoy!

We litterally vacuum seal several tons of meat a year using the Weston PRO-2300...

http://www.qualitymatters.com/Commercial-Grade-Vacuum-Sealer-Stainless-PRO-2300-p/qmpro-2300.htm

I like to cook and then slice, shred, or chop the meat and seal in 2 lb portions with about 1/4 cup of pan juices or stock or a concoction there of... The 2 lb portions reheat better (FYI - boil in bag)...

!!!IMPORTANT STEPS!!! - when vacuum sealing - after cooking, try to get the meat sealed in the bag when it is still hot (definitely above 140 degrees). And then you have to cool the meat down as quickly as possible using an ice water bath (to get it below 35 degrees quickly) and then into a sub zero chest freezer. If reheating in the bag, it is also important to reheat it as quickly as possible by placing the frozen 2 lb bags into a boiling pot of water (use your pasta insert to keep the bag from touching the bottom of your pot). Do not defrost the meat in the bag (anearobic conditions are bad)! Either open the bag to defrost and reheat or go right from freezer to boiling water...

Toad

Last edited:
Can you vacuum seal a whole packer brisket (under 14lbs) in most food saver models? Or is there a certain model for doing something that big?

I use the foodsaver hand held (about $20 @ Walmart) and the ZipLock vacuum bags (under $3 a doz also @ Walmart). I favor the hand held because it "sucks" better and I control it.

In fact, I put a pop can in a bag the other day to see what would happen and it crushed the chit out of it. I don't think the automatics can do that. They shut off first.

I got the V2840 for Christmas, and I love it!! I wanted a unit that lays flat during operation because I read too many complaints about the vertical ones. And I used to have one that operated while lying flat, and was very happy with it. But I was unhappy that I wouldn't have the benefit of a counterspace saving model. I thought you only get that with the vertical ones. So, I was surprised when I got my V2840, because it operates while lying flat, but is actually stored in the upright position, saving counterspace. Didn't realize that until I got it. I'm only using Foodsaver bags so far, and the accessory kit that comes with all the little containers. Works great! If I have stuff that I want to save for the long haul, I bag it. If I have something I want to save just for a week or so, I use the little containers. Working out great so far. No more freezer burn, and no more food going bad in the fridge. I'm a believer!! :thumb:

Got mine from costco (sams on the east coast) 2 years ago foodsaver V3825. Does a great job sealing in pork butt and ribs. If you get it from costco and dont like it i believe you can retrun it. Just saw them there yestday, think they were on sale. Love mine , and use it all the time!

Anyone use the VacMaster® Pro130 Vacuum Sealer sold at Costco I was looking at getting one ...There seems to be some mixed reviews

Back