Food Safety Continued......

To Quote Voltaire -

There is some common sense to be used here.
Keep in mind these manufacturers want us to replace their items as much as possible.
Hence the shampoo bottle instructs us to "Wash, Rinse & Repeat".
Repeat hell... Once is enough.

"Common sense is not so common!"

As to those shampoo bottle instructions that read, "Wash rinse, & repeat". I understand the wash and rinse part of the instructions. The instructions don't say how many times to repeat. No wonder I am bald..........

Now to quote the title of my favorite Joe Walsh album, "But Seriously, Folks".....

After the butter incident, I decided to check the use by and expiration dates of every item in the kitchen cabinets. I learned something new today. Apparently, table salt has a best use by date. The date listed on the 26 oz sealed jar in my cabinet is January 19, 2029. I must have been asleep in chemistry class that day when we instructed that NaCl degregates when stored in a sealed container. Guess I better hurry up and use it up before it too goes bad.

I'll give you an answer, but it won't be quick........... Dietary restrictions due to me being in the early stages of diabetes limits my usage of butter. I don't eat bread/toast, or potatoes very often and I rarely fry foods in butter.

A side note: Today, I bought another package of four sticks of butter from Aldi. The best used by date on the box read, May 13, 2023. Using those parameters, the butter in my fridge was over one year-old.

Lager,

Juggy

I'll give you an answer, but it won't be quick........... Dietary restrictions due to me being in the early stages of diabetes limits my usage of butter. I don't eat bread/toast, or potatoes very often and I rarely fry foods in butter.

A side note: Today, I bought another package of four sticks of butter from Aldi. The best used by date on the box read, May 13, 2023. Using those parameters, the butter in my fridge was over one year-old.

Lager,

Juggy

Just a couple of thoughts. I cured my pre-diabetes in 4 weeks. A1C went from 5.7 to 5.0 by cutting out carbs. I still ate a ton of butter and fatty steak. So I'd research keto if you like your fat and have a diabetes issue.

The other thing, I didn't mention earlier, I'm in biopharm industry. Our expiry dates are typically 50% shorter than what we've tested for. I can't say the food industry is the same but I wouldn't be shocked.

Yo Jim, I have been dealing with diabetes for eight years and my A1C has always been below 6. Even before this health issue, I did not use much butter in my diet. As to your comments on the expiration dates in your industry, I will relate what I learned and retained from my college class on consumer safety. The main reason for consumer warning labels on a product that state what should be an obvious warning on usage of the product is because some idiot misused that product that most sensible people would know is not a wise thing to do. That same idiot successfully sued the manufacturer for their stupid mistake and to protect themselves from further lawsuits, the manufacturer places a warning label on their product.

Now we have what I call the "fudge factor" that you alluded to in your post. These warning labels go beyond the threshold limit of what might be considered dangerous. This is for liability reasons so if the manufacturer is sued for their "dangerous" product, they can state in court that the their warning label was more than adequate for what is considered dangerous usage. One thing the USDA did when they listed the safe internal temperatures for when meats are cooked and safe to eat is this. They fudged those temperature somewhat higher because they realized John/Jane Q Public may be using a meat thermometer that is not calibrated or accurate. This does not mean I cheat on those temperature recommendations. Except for enjoying my steaks medium rare, I follow the USDA guidelines.

Thanks.

Juggy

This does not mean I cheat on those temperature recommendations. Except for enjoying my steaks medium rare, I follow the USDA guidelines.

The USDA has information that they always put on the front page, for instance... "chicken must be cooked to 165°F". My drumsticks, thighs and wings are always well above that, but breasts are a different story. Thermoworks has a great article that explains that holding time plays a big role in killing bacteria. Meaning, if you cook a breast to 155° and hold it for just 49.5 seconds, it had effectively killed the bacteria

Back