Follow up about Weber Charcoal Briqs

One drop of rain does not make a tide. If you folks really want to see weber charcoal come back then you would be posting this on every grilling forum you can find. You would be making you tube videos of this. You would be contacting BBQ podcasts. You would contact your local news.

I spent two years helping a bunch of lazy old people try to change the world through a tea party. But in the end I was one of the only ones who even learned how to update the website.

People talk as if they want to do things, but mostly they just want to feel like they are doing something. Me? I stopped wasting my time with grass roots campaigns because most people are a joke. I doubt any of you are actually going to do anything meaningful to try to make this happen. Me? I'm just going to use B&B if I want good coals. And guess what, the rest of you are going to do the same thing. So don't give me this line about not doing enough. No one here is going to bother to do anything meaningful about this. I know it. You know it. What I posted, finding the real "Not cost effective problem" and solving that, is the only real answer. It's just that no one really wants to work and even Weber might be just giving us all a line. The real answer is they want more profit, not that it's not profitable to have someone else make a product for you with your name on it. It's not like they are shutting down a factory here. All of this is a joke to me that you people can't see whats really going on here, arn't going to do a single meaningful thing to get what you say you want, and then want to point the finger at me for not "sending an email too". The joke is that you think my one email or your one means anything to them. Work to get 10,000 emails and then maybe the news will make a story about it. Work to solve the lack of profit complaint that they have and maybe they will sell it agian.

But in the end, I'll see you posting a picture of your B&B cook, just like everyone else because none of you are going to do what it really takes.

Why do you bother posting here if you have such a poor opinion about everything anyone on this site does?

One drop of rain does not make a tide. If you folks really want to see weber charcoal come back then you would be posting this on every grilling forum you can find. You would be making you tube videos of this. You would be contacting BBQ podcasts. You would contact your local news.

I spent two years helping a bunch of lazy old people try to change the world through a tea party. But in the end I was one of the only ones who even learned how to update the website.

People talk as if they want to do things, but mostly they just want to feel like they are doing something. Me? I stopped wasting my time with grass roots campaigns because most people are a joke. I doubt any of you are actually going to do anything meaningful to try to make this happen. Me? I'm just going to use B&B if I want good coals. And guess what, the rest of you are going to do the same thing. So don't give me this line about not doing enough. No one here is going to bother to do anything meaningful about this. I know it. You know it. What I posted, findinIt's just that no one really wants to work and even Weber might be just giving us all a line. The real answer is they want more profit, not that it's not profitable to have someone else make a product for you with your name on it. It's not like they are shutting down a factory here. All of this is a joke to me that you people can't see whats really going on here, arn't going to do a single meaningful thing to get what you say you want, and then want to point the finger at me for not "sending an email too". The joke is that you think my one email or your one means anything to them. Work to get 10,000 emails and then maybe the news will make a story about it. Work to solve the lack of profit complaint that they have and maybe they will sell it agian.

But in the end, I'll see you posting a picture of your B&B cook, just like everyone else because none of you are going to do what it really takes.

Well now,
You don't think too much of yourself do you?

I emailed Rea at Weber-Stephens to tell her how disappointed I was to see their briquettes being discontinued. She wrote me back with the same response the rest of you got. I did not ask them to change their minds about discontinuing the product. Why? Because if it is not economically feasible for them to have them made, then it’s a carved in stone decision. Do you expect them to continue making a product and selling at a loss just to make a few BBQ nuts happy? Definitely not. It’s a straight up business decision, that’s all. I am sad to see the product being lost, but I can’t expect Weber to keep making and selling them and losing money doing it.

I would think that the Weber Summit Charcoal would be in the same situation. Not enough people buying it because of the price.
I remember early on Target and the big box home improvements carrying Weber Briquettes and when they did not sell they had
to clearance them real cheap and they did not carry them again after that at least here they did not.

I also remember when the first Charcoal Summits were out the guy at work telling about a local appliance store with the cheaper
Charcoal Summit having a clearance price $799.00 or 50% off. If I could find one at that price, I would buy it.

Last edited:
I'm another that's been using it because of picking up a number of bags when they were being cleared out at HD. It's worth my time to send the email.

I also agree whole heartedly that they could save a bit bit moving away from the higher end "resealable" bag. Great idea, horribly implemented

And see, this is part of the real solution. Weber does not own a plant. They don't make their own coals. They don't have employees doing this. Even the bag says it's made FOR weber, not BY weber. So when Weber says that "It's not cost effective", they are not actually telling the truth. As you just stated, they could lower the cost by changing the bag, etc.

What they probably mean is that they cannot get a contract for the cost that they are looking for verses the selling price that they want to sell it at. With Walmart selling 6 dollar bags and Royal Oak selling 7 dollar bags at lowes and B&B selling it's bag for 13 dollars at Ace Hardware, Weber simply can't find someone to make them they way they want, for the price they are willing to pay, verses the sales price of the market.

What should stick in your craw, all of you that want these, is that they are unwilling to make any changes even to the bag in order to get these made and to market at an affordable price. What should be getting to you is that they are wanting to sell to the high end market for a high end price that the market simply isn't going to bear. This isn't about being cost effective when you aren't even the one making the product. This is about profit and sales numbers.

And none of you, not one of you, have even thought about the possibility that they may have taken these off the market just to stick it to the supplier that probably wanted to charge a lot more for the contract. This all might just be a big business game to Weber. Not "Cost Effective"? Yeah right.

Last edited:
And see, this is part of the real solution. Weber does not own a plant. They don't make their own coals. They don't have employees doing this. Even the bag says it's made FOR weber, not BY weber. So when Weber says that "It's not cost effective", they are not actually telling the truth. As you just stated, they could lower the cost by changing the bag, etc.

What they probably mean is that they cannot get a contract for the cost that they are looking for verses the selling price that they want to sell it at. With Walmart selling 6 dollar bags and Royal Oak selling 7 dollar bags at lowes and B&B selling it's bag for 13 dollars at Ace Hardware, Weber simply can't find someone to make them they way they want, for the price they are willing to pay, verses the sales price of the market.

What should stick in your craw, all of you that want these, is that they are unwilling to make any changes even to the bag in order to get these made and to market at an affordable price. What should be getting to you is that they are wanting to sell to the high end market for a high end price that the market simply isn't going to bear. This isn't about being cost effective. This is about profit.

And none of you, not one of you have even thought about the idea that they may have taken these off the market just to stick it to the supplier that probably wanted to charge a lot more for the contract. This all might just be a big business game to Weber. Not "Cost Effective"? Yeah right.

So, who is/was making them for Weber?

Bottom line here is people is that you will never know the full story on this. One thing is for sure is that economics and profit are at play.

So, who is/was making them for Weber?

Bottom line here is people is that you will never know the full story on this. One thing is for sure is that economics and profit are at play.

Read the last part of his post. He knows things that nobody here could ever comprehend. He is vastly superior and he is here to let us all know about it.

Read the last part of his post. He knows things that nobody here could ever comprehend. He is vastly superior and he is here to let us all know about it.

You tell me then genius. How is it "not cost effective" when they aren't even manufacturing the product? How is it "not cost effective" if the cost is in a contract? How it is "not cost effective" if you are the one controlling the cost?

This goes all the way back to my first post. My first post said basically, "Call them back and get the truth" in not so many words. But no, the rest of you just went all in on the pity party emails as if they care about that at all.

If they aren't even going to tell you the truth then why are you even bothering with them anymore? Just use B&B and send Weber and email saying, "Maybe if you didn't lie to us about the real reason you are choosing to not get another contract then I might support your brand better".

Whats more is that you lot haven't even considered what a good company does before it discontinues a product. A good company tells it's customers before hand that a product is going away. They don't simply pull the rug out from everyone and then say, "Not cost effective" when they aren't even the manufacturer. All they have shown here is that they don't give a damn about your business. But you can't see that. So they don't care to tell you it's being discontinued. They don't care to tell you the truth about why there is no new contract. But you think they are going to care about your emails? Wow.

Last edited:
You tell me then genius. How is it "not cost effective" when they aren't even manufacturing the product? How is it "not cost effective" if the cost is in a contract? How it is "not cost effective" if you are the one controlling the cost?

This goes all the way back to my first post. My first post said basically, "Call them back and get the truth" in not so many words. But no, the rest of you just went all in on the pity party emails as if they care about that at all.

If they aren't even going to tell you the truth then why are you even bothering with them anymore? Just use B&B and send Weber and email saying, "Maybe if you didn't lie to us about the real reason you are choosing to not get another contract then I might support your brand better".

What more is that you lot haven't even considered what a good company does before it discontinues a product. A good company tells it's customers before hand that a product is going away. They don't simply pull the rug out from everyone and then say, "Not cost effective" when they aren't even the manufacturer. All they have shown here is that they don't give a damn about your business. But you can't see that.

I don't care about Weber coals. I bought a few bags when I found them on sale for $5 per bag. I was only commenting on how you post as if you are all knowing and have everything figured out far better than anyone here. It was off topic and I shouldn't have posted it. Decent chance you will be banned soon and it would be appropriate.

i've been participating in online forums - piano, bbq, pizza, politics, artwork, etc. for oh, twenty years now and this beats all. I don't think I have ever seen someone come in with so little experience - one pork butt - and proceed to lecture folks who have been barbecuing 30 years and more on what's what.

I'll give him one thing.. when he decides to dig himself a big deep hole, he doesn't let anything stop him, he just keeps on digging.

I don't care about Weber coals. I bought a few bags when I found them on sale for $5 per bag. I was only commenting on how you post as if you are all knowing and have everything figured out far better than anyone here. It was off topic and I shouldn't have posted it. Decent chance you will be banned soon and it would be appropriate.

So you admit that you are the one making off topic posts. You are now directing all your posts at me personally as if you know me. And you think I'm the one that should be banned?

I haven't attacked anyone. I haven't called Meathead a jerk like many of you did. No, it's the rest of you that attack me, attack others, make off topic comments and no mods do anything about it while you claim that I am the one that should be banned.

Now how about you stop directing all your posts towards attacking me personally, stay on topic, and maybe you are the one that won't get banned. How about that?

i've been participating in online forums - piano, bbq, pizza, politics, artwork, etc. for oh, twenty years now and this beats all. I don't think I have ever seen someone come in with so little experience - one pork butt - and proceed to lecture folks who have been barbecuing 30 years and more on what's what.

I'll give him one thing.. when he decides to dig himself a big deep hole, he doesn't let anything stop him, he just keeps on digging.

How about staying on topic and not trying to attack me personally. I have not attacked anyone. I have not called anyone names. It's just that many of you don't share my opinion. The difference is that apparently I can still be professional about it. How about you stop addressing me as if you know me, and address my points? Ideas? Or is that too big and grown up for you to do? Stay on topic how about that?

You have repeatedly insulted everyone on this thread who would like to see Weber continue to offer their briquettes, so don't take this disingenuous tack with me, son.

And I do know you well enough. I have seen incarnations of you several times in my technology career. They come in and despite their lack of knowledge and experience they are firmly convinced of their superiority and proceed to tell everyone in earshot about it. They invariably fail.

This place is a treasure trove of knowledge in all things BBQ. You'd do well to do a lot less talking and a lot more listening if you want to get good at it.

OK, I WILL BE the REFEREE! In fact, I am sure Weber was charging HD
about $15 for a bag that sold for $20.

I still have 2 bags left from the $4 sale 2 years ago.
I like the charcoal.
But you need to convince HD and LOWES to carry the bags.
No sense when they sell KBB which costs them $5 a bag and they sell for 20.
The margins are against Weber.
They could ship to you -
but not cost effective.
Honestly, HD and Lowes killed the local hardware store / lumber yard,
ON PURPOSE

and America will come to regret it.

Mchar, I agree about the local lumber yard. I still get my lumber from mine but don’t expect that will last too much longer. It’s too bad. The big box lumber leaves a lot to be desired, at least here. I have to spend too much time picking out quality sticks.

Whats more is that you lot haven't even considered what a good company does before it discontinues a product. A good company tells it's customers before hand that a product is going away. They don't simply pull the rug out from everyone and then say, "Not cost effective" when they aren't even the manufacturer. All they have shown here is that they don't give a damn about your business. But you can't see that. So they don't care to tell you it's being discontinued. They don't care to tell you the truth about why there is no new contract. But you think they are going to care about your emails? Wow.

#1. There is no law requiring Weber to tell you the full inside story.
#2. B&B is not available everywhere.
#3. You obviously do not know how things work in industry.

What are you using for fuel?

OK, I WILL BE the REFEREE! In fact, I am sure Weber was charging HD
about $15 for a bag that sold for $20.

I still have 2 bags left from the $4 sale 2 years ago.
I like the charcoal.
But you need to convince HD and LOWES to carry the bags.
No sense when they sell KBB which costs them $5 a bag and they sell for 20.
The margins are against Weber.
They could ship to you -
but not cost effective.
Honestly, HD and Lowes killed the local hardware store / lumber yard,
ON PURPOSE

and America will come to regret it.

What are you going to use when your 2 bags of Weber are gone?

Not to be a jerk but you sound as though you feel like you're super entitled. Weber doesn't owe you a single response or reason why they have chosen to discontinue a product. It's their business and they will run it as they desire. If they don't feel like the Weber branded charcoal is something they want to keep selling then it's their decision as a business. You're not a member of their board and therefore they owe you absolutely ZERO in terms of a response or reason.

You're a consumer and you can choose whether or not to buy a product. Choosing to buy a product does not make you a privileged party to the financial decisions of that company. It makes ZERO business sense for Weber to tell the public at large about their financial details. They have competitors all over the place so they have to keep that kind of information securely guarded. They will not (and should not) just give that kind of information out freely. They owe you NOTHING.

Finally, you're assuming you know the reason the charcoal was discontinued, and you're jumping to a conclusion that Weber somehow lied to you about it. How are you coming to such a haphazard conclusion? They stated it wasn't economically feasible and how can you know for sure that's a lie? You don't know that and there's no way you could possibly know.

Just stop with this nonsense.

Back