THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Full Fledged Farker
Dry brined in the fridge for ~12 hours. Then brushed very lightly with worcestershire and ground rosemary and dried in the fridge for another 12 hours. I'm usually a purist (salt only) when it comes to steak, but flat iron benefits from a little worcestershire imo.

The steak was cooked to med-rare over lump on the kettle and rested on top of grilled onions. Served with a side of potato and onion hash. The grilled onions soaked in meat juices were divine.

My GF said the steak was "better than steakhouse", and I couldn't agree more. Much cheaper as well at $7/plate.

IMG-20141220-00407_zps82a1ce61.jpg

I've only ever dry-brined fowl, and then for the requisite 3 days ala Zuni Cafe. Never tried beef before. Didn't realize a single 24 hours would do it. Looks fantastic! :clap:

I've only ever dry-brined fowl, and then for the requisite 3 days ala Zuni Cafe. Never tried beef before. Didn't realize a single 24 hours would do it. Looks fantastic! :clap:

I like to salt my steaks at least 1 hour in advance of cooking them and set them on a wire rack in the fridge. The meat will dissolve and absorb the salt solution in as little as 1 hour. I like to go longer to get a dryer steak for searing and allow the brine to distribute. 24 hours is definitely not necessary, 4 hours is probably plenty.

Back