Flat Iron

Full Fledged Farker
Dry brined in the fridge for ~12 hours. Then brushed very lightly with worcestershire and ground rosemary and dried in the fridge for another 12 hours. I'm usually a purist (salt only) when it comes to steak, but flat iron benefits from a little worcestershire imo.

The steak was cooked to med-rare over lump on the kettle and rested on top of grilled onions. Served with a side of potato and onion hash. The grilled onions soaked in meat juices were divine.

My GF said the steak was "better than steakhouse", and I couldn't agree more. Much cheaper as well at $7/plate.

IMG-20141220-00407_zps82a1ce61.jpg

I've only ever dry-brined fowl, and then for the requisite 3 days ala Zuni Cafe. Never tried beef before. Didn't realize a single 24 hours would do it. Looks fantastic! :clap:

I've only ever dry-brined fowl, and then for the requisite 3 days ala Zuni Cafe. Never tried beef before. Didn't realize a single 24 hours would do it. Looks fantastic! :clap:

I like to salt my steaks at least 1 hour in advance of cooking them and set them on a wire rack in the fridge. The meat will dissolve and absorb the salt solution in as little as 1 hour. I like to go longer to get a dryer steak for searing and allow the brine to distribute. 24 hours is definitely not necessary, 4 hours is probably plenty.

Back