Flat Iron steak ?

jsperk

Babbling Farker
So after trying and liking the flat iron a lot. I went to a different store and asked the butcher if he had any flat iron steaks since I couldn't find any. He told me to get the ones that say spencer steak on them. He said it's the same thing? It looked different from the one I got at the other store. It seems from goggling they are different but another person on a site said they are the same. Any opinion would be appreciated. Thanks.

Spencer steak comes from the same muscle area but the FI is cut differently. However, a Pittsburg Spencer steak is a ribeye.

Some other names for an actual FI steak would be butler's cut, oyster blade steak, and London Block Steak.

A FI steak is a suspensory muscle from the same area as a 7 bone chuck roast. In fact, the proper name for the FI is shoulder top blade. It's tender because it's one single muscle that doesn't get a lot of strenuous use. A Spencer steak is a chuck (shoulder) top blade steak with the connective tissue that runs through it removed, as I understand it. It's not cut the same as a FI and that's the problem.

The FI is superior and rivals ribeye, IMO.

I buy flat irons , and chuck eye steak before ribeye at this point. Less expensive cuts , and just as juicy and tender in my opinion.The chuck now thanks to a post from Deguerre--( not sure I spelled the brothers name correctly), but thanks Guerry!!The post was chuck eye steak w/ warm salad.:becky::clap2:

Back