Flank Steak Cook?

darita

is Blowin Smoke!
So I went to the market today and found a deal on some nice looking flank steak. Thing is, I've never done flank steak before. What's the best way to cook this? Cook/Done temp?

One of our favorites! So many ways to cook, all are amazing.

Stuffed flank steak roulade
Vietnamese Steak & Noodle salad
Sliced thin and served with board sauce

No matter how you prepare it, I like them cooked super hot and fast to med rare at most.

There's a recipe in the book Nourishing Traditions for Korean beef. Thinly sliced flank steak in a marinade overnight. You're supposed to ribbon it on skewers to do on the grill but it's so good I usually eat a lot of it raw while doing the skewering.

First apply salt and chile pepper based rub, then grill over medium high coals. Pull at medium rare, rest, then slice against grain. They are great eaten as slices of beef with potatoes or most any veggie. A sauce (chimichurri?) is optional.

Or you can put them in fajitas, tacos, beef salad, pho, most anything. You can also use a marinade (such as London broil or Thai marinade) instead of rub. Very versatile piece of meat.

Cook to 118 in the thickest part and take it off. It is easy to overcook flank steak and it will be perfect if rested. But the thin part will be well done, it's still very good. Cut across the grain in thin strips and it's awesome. I've seen no need to marinade, but it's good either way. I usually just salt and pepper.

Thanks for the advice. I did as directed and it came out really good. Lean parts could have been a bit more tender, but the thinner fatty parts were excellent. I'll be doing more flank steak in the future for sure.
QHG8StR.jpg

Thanks for the advice. I did as directed and it came out really good. Lean parts could have been a bit more tender, but the thinner fatty parts were excellent. I'll be doing more flank steak in the future for sure.
QHG8StR.jpg
Looks good!

Don't be afraid to hammer them a bit thinner next time. Both tenderizes and reduces cook time.

Next time I will pound them out for sure. They were super tasty and juicy and the fat just melted in my mouth...yum.

Back