Fish Po' Boys on Cuban Bread

lunchman

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Dom
I picked up some Pollock at the market the other day. What to do with it? Make Fish Po' Boys of course.

But first, we need some loaves to serve them on. I started making some Cuban Bread this afternoon, less than four hours before dinner. No time for the starter to rest overnite in the fridge and despite my fears that these might not turn out as expected, they were excellent.

I won't bore you with pics of ingredients, kneading, etc.

The two loaves, ready to be baked -

And while those were in the oven, I had the Golden's fired up, indirect around 350F and waiting for the fish. The Pollock was seasoned with Lefty's and after about 10 minutes on the grill -

Just about done. I decided to flip them which wasn't a perfectly successful maneuver, so forgive the non magazine quality pic. It doesn't really matter how they look, it matters how they taste -

Meanwhile the Cuban Bread is done and looking great -

Sliced, ready to make sandwiches -

Dinner is served -

A most excellent and tasty sandwich. Lefty's comes through as usual and my bread baking ability is getting much better.

As always, thanks for checking in on this post.

Regards,
-lunchman

Man, your killing me. For some reason it reminded me of Long John Silvers fish fillets. I used to buy a family box of the fish and hush puppies, and make either Po' boys or Fish Taco's with them. Sadly all the LJS's closed in my area.

Say what you will about Fast Food, LJS had some damn good beer battered fish fillets.

Looks great Dom! I've never been able to get my cuban bread quite like they do down in Miami. What recipe did you use for yours?

Thanks all.

It took me a bit to remember what recipe I used. Look on YouTube for Cook's Country The Test Cook Episode 6 for the video -

https://youtu.be/Uz70ZKh36CY

There's a link to the recipe on their website which is here -

https://www.cookscountry.com/recipe...7jvMB5FrrG2DNUsxXycHcxXe4TkR81b4tzAPkNTrryA=

As mentioned in my post, I didn't make the starter and refrigerate it overnite. I let it sit for about a half hour in a warm room and decided to just wing it and see how it went. Fortunately, it went well. We had these again for sandwiches today for lunch.

I do recommend the use of lard in the recipe, but I've not substituted anything different the few times I've made this bread. I was able to find lard in the Goya aisle in my supermarket. I assume Crisco might work also.

-Dom

Looks delicious Dom! I love seeing your mad baking skills on display! They had King Arthur bread flour back in stock at the grocery store, so I’m excited to follow your lead!

Back