First time smoking. EVER. USDA prime whole packer brisket and pork butt

Well done and good luck with your following smokes.
Keep going. You'll learn something new each time.

Good work. It's amazing what a bit of research and a costco prime brisket can do. :)

You mentioned only doing brisket for special occasions. I'm guessing that's because it takes so long. I would encourage you to try BluDawgs "Hot and Fast" method. It lowers the time commitment considerably. I have done my last two using his method with a prime costco brisket and it has turned out amazing.

Good luck and thanks for the post. Very well put together!

Change of plans. No brisket today :( stayed up till 5 am to open the brisket with a really bad smell. Not gonna risk it. Going to bed then heading to Costco around 10 to return the it and get some ribs. (If I wake up in 5 hours haha). I Will write a detailed post with pics if I decide to do the ribs.

Good work. It's amazing what a bit of research and a costco prime brisket can do. :)

You mentioned only doing brisket for special occasions. I'm guessing that's because it takes so long. I would encourage you to try BluDawgs "Hot and Fast" method. It lowers the time commitment considerably. I have done my last two using his method with a prime costco brisket and it has turned out amazing.

Good luck and thanks for the post. Very well put together!

Thank you! I'll definitely check that out! Wouldn't mind cutting that 15 hour cook time down lol. im pretty bummed out right now though cause I got the charcoal going (5:00am) and opened the brisket, and it smelled pretty bad. Very surprised cause I've never had anything bad from Costco before. Gonna go to bed and try to get up at 10 to return it and get some ribs instead. We'll see

Honestly though, I really did feel like a rookie. The only advantage of being a chef, was knowing how to slice. Haha. And maybe my attention to detail. Everything felt very very new to me. I definitely have to try making another brisket to see if that first time was beginners luck or if I actually got something going there. We'll see :)

Looks awesome ... I was actually going to ask you if you sliced against the grain because looking at the pics it doesn't appear so. But likely just the pics.

Looks awesome ... I was actually going to ask you if you sliced against the grain because looking at the pics it doesn't appear so. But likely just the pics.

Yeah. I did slice against the grain. When i got to the point, I cut it in half, then turned it and started to cut that against the grain :)

Can't wait to smoke my next brisket. :)

Super job!

I think your experience as a chef is coming to the fore.

The only thing I'm using from being a chef, is my attention to detail and my knife skills. Everything else really is new to me. This is very different world of cooking. But I love it and can't wait to start on my next cook.

Next cook will be beef plate ribs. (Namp 123a or imps 123a). These are those big and thick short ribs. These are very hard to find in la and I still haven't found a butcher that has them. I'm afraid I might be paying 15/lb for them. We shall see. I'll keep everyone updated :)

Back