First time making croissants

BBQ Bacon

is One Chatty Farker
Name or Nickame
Dean
While on my staycation this past week I took the opportunity to try making croissants. Always wanted to give it a try so I figured what the hell.

I made the dough, flattened it out a bit and put it into the fridge to cool.

Homemade-Croissants-2.jpg

The previous day I had spread the butter out on plastic wrap to get it formed.

After 30 minutes, the dough came out and I flattened it out to the desired shape and added the butter.

Homemade-Croissants-3.jpg

Then it was the fold, flatten, fold, turn, flatten and fold then back into the fridge to cool.

Homemade-Croissants-4.jpg

Then the next day the dough was brought out, flattened and folded again, then shaped.

Homemade-Croissants-5.jpg

Then it was trimmed to the desired shape.

Homemade-Croissants-6.jpg

For the bits that were trimmed off, I rolled them up and put them on the baking sheet. No need to waste it.

Homemade-Croissants-7.jpg

Then I cut it into 4 x 4 squares then cut it diagonally, flattened then rolled it into a classic croissant shape. We put some almond paste in some and mini peanut butter cups in others and the majority as plain.

Homemade-Croissants-8.jpg

They then spent the next hour relaxing on the counter before they went into the oven. 375 for about 20 minutes and they were ready to come out. There was a bunch of butter melted and pooling around the croissants, but after they sat for a couple of minutes, the butter was re-absorbed into the croissants.

Homemade-Croissants-9.jpg

The peanut butter cup croissant.

Homemade-Croissants-1.jpg

These didn't turn out as I hoped. They were pretty dense and not overly flaky. I think another couple fold, turn and flattens to give them another bunch of layers would have helped and maybe a little more time to allow them to rise before cooking would have helped.

They tasted delicious and turned out decent enough to want me to try again to see how they will work out.

Thanks for looking.

Dean

Great work, Dean... It sounds like you've got must of the learning curve behind you now and just need to make some tweaks to dial them in. I'd be happy to polish off quite a few of them as is!

That's alot of work! The dough looks very nice in the 5th pic. If they weren't flaky enough, did you use enough butter? My wife is from Denmark and their wienerbrod
is made that way - and is ridiculously good - but they do 14 turns and folds I think - and no shortage of butter!

Quit sticking sh*t in the ends, and egg/butter wash going in the oven. Your end shot shows some great layers. I make square biscuits with 5 fold/rolls.
Good.
Ed

That's alot of work! The dough looks very nice in the 5th pic. If they weren't flaky enough, did you use enough butter? My wife is from Denmark and their wienerbrod
is made that way - and is ridiculously good - but they do 14 turns and folds I think - and no shortage of butter!

I think a couple more folds and turns would have helped. There was 1 pound of butter all told in the recipe. Much of it melted out and was reabsorbed as it sat cooling. It's a learning process and hopefully next time I will improve on the process.

Quit sticking sh*t in the ends, and egg/butter wash going in the oven. Your end shot shows some great layers. I make square biscuits with 5 fold/rolls.
Good.
Ed

I know it looks nasty. The mini pb cups melted bad and really made it unappealing, but was damn tasty.

I've always wanted to try making croissants, but I'm soooo intimidated by the process. Very well done! :eusa_clap

Back