THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looks great, mind sharing your technique?

Flattered you'd ask. I decided to take a simple route after reading what everyone here (and on some lesser forums/blogs wrote about).

I have a 22.5" WSM. I ran it with a full water pan.
I used a basic rub - something I got out of a Weber grill book, nothing too fancy. Rubbed the 5# flat the night before,, wrapped it and let it sit in the fridge overnight.

I used the fuse method (in hindsight I wish I did the Soo Donut to keep the heat up a bit) with 4 tennis ball chunks of pecan wood. The WSM stayed between 225 and 250 - I did have to put in more coal - that's why I wished I used the donut.

Brisket went in at 7:25, fat cap up. I probed it and the cooker and just let it go. At 3:15, brisket was at 181 degrees. I hit 165 at 1:00 and then stalled (and thanks to this forum I didn't panic). Because I had dinner guests coming at 5:30, I foiled it at 3:15 and pulled it at 4:15 with a temperature of 193 (I wanted to get to 201 but felt the hour of rest was more important). I put the foul wrapped brisket in a towel lined color for an hour.

I sliced it at 5:30 and you see the results. Everyone loved it.

I did not flip the brisket.

That's it.

Back