THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

okiej

is Blowin Smoke!
Name or Nickame
Jeff
Home alone so I can play. I am going to smoke my first whole chicken and try some MOINK balls for afternoon snacks. The small 3.8# chicken went into brine at 11:00am. I plan to pull, rinse and dry about 1:30-2:00pm. Then return to the fridge for an hour or 2. Should I put it in the fridge uncovered or plastic wrap. Then it will go to smoker at 250f. Any ideas how long? 165 breast/180 thigh? Then rest. and eat I hope. As to the MOINK balls, I just learned what they were last night. I had to make homemade meatballs. They are in the freezer now waiting for prep (except what I ate). The only pr0n I have so far is the meatballs. I will post more later as they day goes on. Thanks all

Last edited:
Smoker is a 20+ year old SNPP. No mods, I have just learned to cook on it over the years as is. I do plan mods soon though since I have learned a lot lately. I think I might go for a WSM or UDS next. But I will keep the offset too.

The chicken

Well.... I have a lot to learn. It tasted fine, but not great and appearance was not great. I did like the brine and will do that again only longer. The rub not so sure. It was looking very dried out and the rub was grainy so I started basting it with melted butter which washed a lot of the rub off. It was also less smokey than I would like. Several people cautioned that chicken takes on a lot more smoke than a brisket, so I was over cautious I think. Wife liked it, but she is not a big smoke fan. I love smoke. It was juicy and very edible so all is well. I will learn and move on. Thanks all

Last edited:
Back